Default computer won't boot up

I have two hard drives installed on my computer running Win XP Pro (loaded once only on the primary hard drive). Recently I loaded and ran both Adaware and Spybot before downloading Windows XP service pack 2. I also run Norton AV Corporate. When loading SP2 I loaded it on my second hard drive. I did this because I was afraid of running out of memory on the primary (about 1G left). After installation and restart, the system will not boot up. It shuts down before getting to the user screen and then restarts, over and over again.
    I tried to start in 'safe mode' or in 'last good configuration' but nothing.
    Is there a problem with the SP2 installation on a seperate drive?
    What can I do to correct?

I think the sp2 needs to be on same drive. If you can get in safe mode, you could do a system restore. Perhaps someone else will have an answer. Once you are up and running. I would delete the sp2 files from the second drive. Reformat it if there is nothing important on it. Move files from your first drive to your second drive to create space. Then download sp2 to your first drive and install. It backs up files during installation and probably ran out of space during the process. Chalie

Member Help2Go Moderator

Is there a problem with the SP2 installation on a seperate drive?
    Are you sure you installed it on a seperate drive? I don't remember any Service Packs that give you the option of selecting which drive you'd like to install it to since all that file is is a HUGE zip file containing newer versions of the files already on your computer. The difference is, this zip file is smart enough to know where those files are stored on the operating system you're currently using so you actually install it on whatever drive the OS is installed on, and in this case i'm assuming it's your primary drive that only has 1gb left.

There is an option though. I have attached some files to this post. What you can do is download the zip file. Once it's downloaded extract it to a formatted floppy disk. After extracting the files to the floppy put the floppy in the problematic computer and restart. What this will do is load windows in a "safe mode" kind of thing. It'll show you a list of drivers it's loading instead of the normal windows logo screen. It will also create a bootlog in C:\windows\Ntbtlog.txt (or C:\winnt\Ntbtlog.txt depending on the name of your windows folder). I would just like to know at which point does the computer restart when it's trying to boot.

Partieā„¢

Downloaded for any future emergengies. Thank you Partie. Charlie