Thread: me again!

sentimental7

Default me again!

how to start the comp. in dos mode?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Please stay with one post by clicking the POST REPLY button at the bottom of the page. I will lock your other post, please continue to use this one.

Hi Sentimental7

If the computer to which this question relates operates on Windows XP then you must remember that XP has no DOS. It is based on Windows NT Technology.

You need to create an MS-DOS startup disk. The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.
    Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.
    On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.
    Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
    Click Start.

*Important*

Creating an MS-DOS startup disk erases all information on the floppy disk.

Notes:
    1. To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
    2. The MS-DOS startup disk only allows the system to boot into an MS-DOS prompt. The disk contains no additional tools.

If the computer is on W95/98 o/s..................

Note: Some DOS commands and utility programs are not available with the Windows 95/98 versions of DOS. Others may give you false information if you are at the shelled DOS prompt under Win95/98. [clicking on the DOS prompt in Win95/98]

If you want to practice, or use DOS when you have Win95/98 installed, it's best to boot straight to the DOS prompt using the start-up menu.

Windows95
    Close out of Windows and turn your computer off. Wait 30 seconds. Turn your computer on and watch the monitor. As soon as you see the line 'Starting Windows 95....' , press the F8 key and you should see the Start-up Menu. Sometimes you have to be fast! If you see the Windows logo coming up, you missed it. Wait for Windows to load, then start again.

From the Start-up Menu, highlight 'Command prompt only', then press ENTER.

Windows98
    Close out of Windows and turn your computer off. Wait 30 seconds. Turn your computer on and hold down the CTRL key until the Start-up Menu appears. Highlight 'Command prompt only', then press ENTER.

If you don't know whether or not you're at the shelled DOS prompt then just type 'Exit' at the prompt and press ENTER. If you're at the shelled prompt you'll be returned to Windows. Otherwise, nothing will happen and you can continue with your DOS session.

Important**
    If you are at the shelled prompt, you must return to Windows and close out properly before shutting off your computer. This will avoid the possible corruption of files and seeing scandisk come up next time you turn it on.

Hope something here helps you. If not continue to post another report here by using the POST REPLY button [below] as Canuck instructs.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The question here is "What are you trying to achieve?"
    If playing DOS based games some can be played. A solution can be found at:
    http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
    If you want to run DOS based applications then in just about every case you can't and doing so may affect notmal operation.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.