Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Biz

I have hunted for just the Directx DLL files to download with no luck. Found a site that claimed to repair all Dll's for free, but when I selected "fix them" I got screen requesting I pay, so not free after all! Lost a lot of time there with the download. Don't really know, but suspect that I must restore 8 before I can install 9, and I can only find the DirectX 9.0c runtime which I don't believe is the FULL program, but only an "update". Complicated isn't it? I appreciate the reply and any further help. Biz

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

TNT2 is a pretty old card that came with DirectX 5.
    I believe it only supported up to Version 6.
    There may be updated drivers for this card however it is no longer supported by NVidia.
    If you have an AGP slot maybe updating to a GeForce3 ($US40) would be a better option
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Biz

Hello again Whooze! Yes this PC is about 3 1/2 yrs. old so no doubt am starting to run into a serious outdated mode here.
    Here is my present status on the Directx problem: I found a download at http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp. and selected GeForce & TNT2 to download. My system seems to have accepted the download to a point. When checking in the add/remove programs, I now show NVIDIA Display Driver and NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers. (I only one or the other before I deleted in prep for the new download). However when viewing the Diagnostic tool, it still shows I still have version 8.1, and when testing Direct3D with the Diagnostic tool I still get "Failure at step 1 (Loading Direct3D DLL): HRESULT=080004005 (Generic failure)" just like before. When testing Directx 3D before this download the Diagnostic tool revealed I had the following 4 files in the registry with info missing or damaged.:
    #1 Directplay 8 IPX service provider
    #2 Directplay 8 TCP/IP service provider
    #3 Directplay 8 Modem service provider
    #4 Directplay 8 Serial service provider
    This download may have corrected the 4, as I don't see that info now, and when viewing the Directx files it reports "No problems found".
    Also, on my desktop is an icon entitled "dxwebsetup" that appeared before this download when I tried to install (not knowing any better and thinking that was what was needed) Version: 9.0c End-User Runtime. That icon would install run time components but can't complete the task. I don't know if I will need it later or not so I have just left it there. Should I delete it?
    I think that is all I know to tell you at this point. So do you really think the prob. is that my system is not going to support the new download? Maybe I didn't do something right. Any ideas as to what we should do next? I really appreciate your help. Biz
    P.S. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Minor crises here, after the install and the restart I totally lost my ISP service and had try to re-establish that and then to boot ISP is having system problems. I will send this as soon as my ISP is up and running again.

Just briefly, for your information,9 will overwrite 8. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Biz

Kinda what I thought too…..if I can EVER get a full installation! Perhaps we will have some input from some of the other Monitors. OSC, Steamwiz? I would like to get this resolved but as long as there is any hope I would really like to pursue the issue without purchasing anything!From across the pond, Biz

Still trying!! Set a 'Restore' point. Go here - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/do...nload.php/id/6
    and uninstall DirectX
    and then go here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...DisplayLang=en
    and chose your d/l. You may prefer, at this stage to opt for DirectX8.
    Meanwhile I will try and find requirements for your card. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Requirements for your card are:
    Minimum configuration:
    Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
    DirectX 8.0
    Pentium II 366 MHz
    64 MB RAM
    DirectX compatible graphics card with 8 MB

Recommended configuration:
    Pentium III 600 MHz
    DirectX compatible graphics card with 32 MB

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think galena has the right idea.

Set a restore point, download the latest drivers from nvidia and install them. Then download the latest DirectX (9.0c I believe) from Microsoft and install that. Whenever you re-install your video drivers, you should always reinstall DirectX afterwards. Hopefully that will get it squared away.

One option you have is to revert your video card to a 'standard' Microsoft driver at 640x480 resolution. Then go through the steps above.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

I have visited other forums and people are running 9 on your card. However, quite a few are experiencing problems with some games.
    If you eventually manage to get 9 loaded I don't think your expectations on performance should be too high.

Biz

Thank you whoozhe, galena1 and osc. Sorry I have not been able to get back to Help2Go until now. Since my last post things got so quirky here I had to completely uninstall/reinstall my OS due to the attempt to install Directx version 9. I don’t know where things went so wrong. I suspect not consulting Help2Go at the onset was just the beginning, although I’d checked out some other help sources too. Help2Go is the best!
    I have downloaded all appropriate updates and hotfixes and after running dxdia I see it says my version is now listed as 7.1. I would be more than happy to settle for the 8.1 (No, I no longer have high expectations) but MS no longer offers it, just the 9.0 with the 9.0c update. I would still like to upgrade and I believe you are correct in saying my system will support it.
    So if you are still willing to stick with me on this, just to be sure we know where we are going, here is my system now: (probably more info than you need, but I offer it anyway).
    Windows Millennium Edition (build 4.90.3000)
    Version 6 w/SP1
    1.30 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    80.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    73.96 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    128 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Controllers: Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 [Display adapter]
    Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
    Wave Device for Voice Modem
    Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 1
    Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 2
    I am wondering if the jump from 7.1 to 9.0 is going to be ok? Please let me know if we are good to go on this, I will then (as per osc) “Set a restore point, download the latest drivers from nvidia and install them. Then download the latest DirectX”.
    However please provide the web address for the drivers so I’ll be sure to get things right this time. Again, grateful for the help, Biz
    [/u]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast