Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Biz

Default Direct3D test result question

I have been unable to install Directx 9.0 (I had the 8.1 version until it was lost during PC repair). Using the Directx Diagnostic tool the DirectDraw test was fine. The Direct3D test failed due to "Failure at step 1 (Loading Direct3D DLL): HRESULT=080004005 (Generic failure)". I have no clue as to what this means or what to do about it. Can someone help? Biz

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Not all Graphics card can handle DirectX 9. Check the Card's specs.
    You may find the manufacturer has released updates to fix the problem allowing Direct X 9 to be used.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Biz

Thank you for such a prompt reply! I'm sorry that perhaps I did not state the question correctly. Let me retry that. It was apparently the 8.1 version that was damaged during the PC repair work, but I did not realize that happened until I tried to install the 9.0 version. It was the 8.1 version that failed the test. What do I do about failed test message? Thanks heaps! Biz

What is your graphics card and OS? Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Biz

My OS is ME. How do I find my graphics card info?

I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Biz

Thank you, I'll check it out for the info and get back to you.

Can you 'Restore' to before your changes using Me 'System Restore'?

Restoring Your System

To restore your system to an earlier time/date, you need to access System Restore as follows: select Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Once the System Restore Window opens, you have to make sure Restore my computer to an earlier time is checked, than click Next. On the next Window, you'll need to choose your Restore Point. You will be presented with a calendar showing you the current month, with some days highlighted in bold. Day's highlighted in bold contain System Restore Points. If you select one of these, you will see a short description in the window next to the calendar. Once you've chosen your Restore Point, click Next. You'll get a warning and some additional information, to continue with the System Restore, press Next. When the process is complete, System Restore will reboot your system.

Biz

Directx advises setting a restore point before down load and installing. I did that. When installation of Directx failed, I used the stystem restore, but as installation failed, no changes were made so nothing needed to be "restored" to, hope I said that right
    Here is info found for Graphics card: NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 Model 64. Tot. Memory 31.5MB Main Driver; nvdisp.div. Is this the info you need to help me further?
    P.S Please read my 1st and 2nd post. Does it seem reasonable to you that all I really need is to restore the missing Direct3D DLL since version 8 is fine except for that? Once that was done then I could try installing the version 9 again. If that is correct, do you know how I would go about restoring that missing Direct3D Dll?

I think sorting out the dll to start is a good idea. You can go here and have a look around - http://www.dll-files.com/search.php?s=Direct3d
    SOMETIMES the latest drivers aren't always the BEST option. Unfortunately I am pushed for time now but will get back to this as soon as I can. Set a Restore point and have hunt around for your dll and d/l it, if you can find it. Sorry, I'll get back to this as soon as I can, got to go out. Meanwhile there may be input from elsewhere. Regards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast