grandpa1

Default can't format or boot delited hard drive

Irecently bought this gateway at a garage sale not knowing that the ladie had deleted win.98 off the hard drive.Ihave tried to reinstall win98 from a setup cd I had made earlier.but can't get anywhere.I get error messg.such as (format.com=required parameter missing)(fdisk.exe=no fixed disks present)or can't run from DOS.Should I just give up on this thing or is there hope.I really bought it because I like Win.98 for the games I bought earlier.I am retired and thought I would like to tinker around a bit ,but did not know it would be this frustrating.Ready to give up.

Sorry but you'll need the 98 OS disc. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Try booting up with a Windows Startup Floppy disk.
    I have a feeling that the existing partition may have been removed as a security measure.
    Using FDisk form the floppy you will soon know.
    If one existed delete it and reacreat a fresh DOS partition.
    If there isn't one creat a new one.
    After the partition is created format the disk, again from the floppy.
    After formatting, and again using the StartUp floppy install Windows from a Windows installation CD. (The start up disk temporally allocates Drive E for the CD drive)
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.