Default uber messed computer, any help?

so i think my computer is about to quit working, mainly cuz i think im gunna hit it with a hammer. my problem, so my computer (this may be the source of the problem, is an hp pavilion 9870, running the oh so craptacular windows ME) had something wrong with it about a week ago, and it wouldnt start up, i was getting no error messages, it just wouldnt start up, so i ran the recovery disks, format and recovery, cuz i wasnt too worried about losing anything, i just wanted a computer that works. so it ran through, but when i started up the computer, in control panel/system/performance, it gave me the
    Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance
    Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.
    i thought something had messed up in the recovery, so i ran them again, no biggie, SAME PROBLEM. so i tried to live with it, that lasted about a day, of my comp bogging down every 10 minutes, so i tried just restarting, and then i got the message "Operating System Not Found" when i tried starting it up, so i ran the recoverys, and they brought my comp back with the compatibility BS again, until i restarted, and then back to "Operating System Not Found" if anybody has any help, it would be much appreciated.
    thanks muchly
    TEAMPAINTBAY

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi TEAMPAINTBAY, I don't have a solution for your problem and I know you have had your pc running, but you have two things going against you. One (as you have recognized) ME is the pits, if you have the $$ go for XP, but two, you are woefully lacking in RAM. Again it boils down to $$ but 256 would be nice but for elbow room 512 would give you sufficent memory. Only one thing occurs to me, that is have you reformatted your drive or just run a repair? Suggest reformat .. a clean install.

hey canuck, i dont want to pay for a new OS, cuz the computer, to me, is worth nothing. i'd buy a new one before i sunk a S.L. of money into it. ive ran the recovery disks about 10 times trying to get it to work, each time running format and recover, but still no go. over the lifespan of the computer I have HAD TO run them on probably 7 different occasions, the computer is barely 3 years old.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This is not the end of the world nor is it easy to get around.
    With HP, Compaq and IBM machines to use the restore disk the computer must exactly how it was when purched.
    Disconnect printers, scanners, cameras and anything else that has been added since you bought the machine.
    Once done run the restore disk again.
    Get the basics working then add the other's back.
    What most probably happened is the restore disk was unable to recognize any added bit so reset the system to the lowest common denominator, in your case Dos Mode.
    let me know how you go. Hopefully you won't need the hammer.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

any help?

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds to me like the hard drive may be close to its failure point.

Try getting back into Windows again. Once you do, run the ScanDisk tool (should be under Accessories). Make sure it does a thorough check for bad sectors. I'm thinking that maybe the boot sector is going bad.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go