Default No restore points

I tried to restore my system after a download and found that there were no restore points. I checked and the function is enabled. There were no restore points what so ever. What the devil is going on?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

How big is your hard drive and how much free space is left? Ideally you should have 20% of you HD free to allow for programs and background systems to run well. As this free space gets smaller and smaller your pc will become slower and restore points may not be saved due to lack of space. Also worth checking is what % of space is reserved for restore points. If you go to My Computer>Properties>Restore Tab you will see a slider, this is set by default at 12%. That's quite a bit of space if you have a 60 gig HD, you can set the slider to 4 to 6 % which should give you a fair amount of restore points and free up 6 to 8 % of your HD.

Now if you have more than 20% free, you may need to do a repair on your operating system as there could be a damaged file that needs to be replaced. Have you upgraded your o/s to sp2?

Here is an excellent article on System Restore from Kellys-Korner http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm .

Hope this helps

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Basics are the System restore needs a minimum of 200 meg of free HD space to function properly. (it can survive on less but not well) As it works on a percentage of the total free space this equates to a minimum of 1 gygabyte of free HD space required.
    We are talking absolute minimums.
    As most programs create temporary files plus the page file much of that space is used so add another gygabyte required.
    You may see the picture here.
    Any XP system that drops below 2 gig free space is in trouble.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.