Default Limited users cannot access a:

I have XP pro with me setup as admin. I have 4 other limited user accounts. They cannot access the a: nor the cdrw drive? How do you give them access?

Try opening My Computer. Click on the driive you want to share and drag it to the Shared Documents folder. If shared documents folder doesn't show, right click on the drive, then click sharing.

I did this and logged on as limited user and they still cannot access a: or cdrom drives.

I THINK you need to set up a user group. I run XPHome so am unable to 'test run' this. Go to Start>Help & Support> Enter 'User Group' in the Search box and click the green arrow. Read all three options and see if they are any help. Let us know how you get on. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Further to my previous post..... Presumably you want to allow access to YOUR a: and cd drives? Is there a particular reason for this? An option maybe to install 'Active Directory' client software. Whilst I don't believe with this you can control access to drives(REALLY not sure about this) you can can grant 'permissions' to different users, allowing them access to various resources and objects on the system (printers, folders and files. You can allow different permissions for different users - read-only, read/write etc. All info being stored in Active Directory on your machine. Do your people need to be able to copy to floppies or cd's?
    Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

For some explanation and directions go to:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../xpsgch03.mspx
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.