Thread: Kernal Problem

Default Kernal Problem

I was using WinXP Pro, and decided to try out the free cd of Suse Linux. It stated it would not have any effect on my PC. Little did I know. Now I am having a problem logging onto WinXp, as this Linux keeps coming on and stops right there. Will I never learn.
    I have a feeling the Suse Linux has added something to the System on my main HD. I am hoping some one can give me a little advice here, rather than go to the trouble of Formatting and reinstalling Win Xp.

Before it boots to Linux, it should give you the option to boot to Windows. If you have the Windows XP installation disk, we can get everything back without reinstalling. Does Linux start OK? Let us know what you want to do. We can rewrite your master boot record back to like it was before Linux and you can use Partition Magic to delete the Linux partition. Even though Linux is on the second drive, it writes to the MBR on the first drive. Charlie

Default Kernal Problem

Hi,
    Thanks for getting back to me asap. The Boot window that comes up first has three parts on it. The first being the main Linux one. I have not gone into that again as I have had a right problem just getting this Windows Xp open again, so I can request help.
    I do believe that the Suse Linux would actually work, if I put the Suse cd in the CD Drive. I also do have a copy of the WinXp Pro.

In all honesty, I would love to get back to normal, and just put up with the windows problems we have got used to sorting out, as time went by. So I would appreciate it if, you actually did help me do that . Thank you.

Set your computer to boot from the cd drive as first option. Do this from your BIOS. You usually enter BIOS by tapping delete while the computer is booting( some computers are different). Put the XP disk in cd drive and boot. You want to hit R to enter recovery console. Once in the recovery console, the command you want to use is FIXMBR. That will rewrite the master boot record and put it back to the way it was. Shut it down, reboot and chage the boot order back to the way it was and reboot. It should now boot straight to XP. Charlie

Default Kernal Problem

Thanks a lot Grim. I will do that asap. Mind you, I am not too sure the Recovery Console wil actually come up. I never saw it before. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will let you know how I got on.

Cheers.

If you still have an interest in Linux, I would recommend Mandrake Linux. The whole installation process and all is a little more user friendly. The recovery console should come up on XP as long as you boot from the cd with the installation disk in the drive. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If you just want to play around with Linux there are a number of versions that run direct from a CD and do not affect windows or hardware in any way.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.