Default Windows update error 0x8DDD0004

When connecting to windows update, after 5 minutes I get error code 0x8DDD0004. I followed several advices such us delete temporary files and the like. I also search in Microsoft and Google and found some references but they did not work.
    Can someone help. I used SFC (to see if IE6 can download files again) and now need to reinstall all the critical updates, but since windows update does not work, I am exposed to all the malady. I am not sure if these two problems are related. At some point IE 6 was unable to download files (it just sits there with a dialog box of dowloanding but no data - time, file size, etc - and after 10 minutes: cannot download) but I was still able to use windows update and download updates.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The nearest I can figure is that MS has deemed it necessary for us to put our ms update on automatic updates. Start>Run> type in 'services.msc'>in rt hand side double click on Automatic updates>General tab>Startup type: select from drop down Automatic>apply>ok. I had to do this if I wanted to even see if there were updates although I much prefer to update and download manually. I have installed SP2, so I imagine this may be MS's push to get everyone on board with SP2.

If you decide to do the above, suggest you create a new restore point before, just in case. So far, except for this auto update I've not found anything wrong with SP2, but I do have a restore point in case I do. There were 2 critical updates when I went to Windows Update.

Hi I have just been here - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co....aspx?ln=en-us
    and d/l latest updates for XP. I haven't installed SP2. The site worked fine but prior to this I recieved notification from MS re 'critical updates available'. I clicked on the message to d/l and nothing happened so visited above site and d/l and installed ok. I currently have automatic install of SP2 blocked. Whether this is relevant or not I don't know. It may be as Canuck has suggested, a little 'nudge' to encourage SP2 install.
    I too visited sites (Google) and if you have carried out the various (considerable) fixes on offer there and are having no luck then I too am stumped for a solution. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome