jasondan16

Default reformatting with a foreign disc

i have 2 computers that need the hard drive wiped out and reinstalled. one computer is my brother in laws and does not contain a disk (internal or cd rom). i have tried using an older disc to reformat it but i recieve a message of "disc not meant for this computer" the computer supposedly has windows 2000xp home edition and i was trying to reformat with a win 98 disk. is there any way to pull this off?

also the 2nd computers hard drive came with the reformatting disc. but when i sent it off for repair the repairman updated the windows version and now the computer will not recognize the reformatting disc. is there anyway to fix this?

thank you
    jason

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

First a hard drive is the same in any country.
    It appears you are trying to reformat a NTFS formatted drive in a Windows 98 machine.
    Add the WindowsXP drive as a slave to you existing Windows 98 system.
    Create a Windows Start Up Disk with Windows 98 (See Windows 98 Help Files for instructions)
    Boot up with the Start up floppy disk.
    You should see an A: prompt .
    The start up disk will allocat the following drive letters.
    A: for floppy, C: for main Hard Drive, D: for a temporary Ram Drive, E: for the CD drive and F: for the Slave Hard Drive.

At the A: Prompt type "fdisk f:" (without quotes)
    You should see a menu.
    1. Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive
    2. Set active partition
    3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive
    4. Display partition information
    5. Change current fixed disk drive

Note item 5 will only appear if the system sees the two Hard Drives. It is doesn't then stop the process.

Now go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=255867#5
    and follow the tutorial
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.