Default dvd/cd-rw drive problems

hi guys, i have a new dell dimension 8400 which has a problem.
    the thing is it refuses to play any audio, video or data cd's (it does play dvd's without problem).

when i insert a cd into the drive, sometimes the hour glass and cd picture will apear then nothing will happen, i go into my computer/d: manually and after the drive spinning for sometime i enter d: only to find nothing in there.

I know its not the cd's im using, ive used various formats and they work on all other computer's ive cared to try.
    the computer plays the files over the network so i assume it must be the drive, but im confused as to why it plays dvd's, also the systems just a few weeks old, i was hoping to resolve the problem with your guys help before i ring dell as i hate going through all the fuss of helpline's.

any ideas would be very much appreciated.

E mail Dell, not call them as their call support is poor.

Did you ever install an anti virus ?

Cheers

P.S. Your post to the Spware Help has been locked as you never got back to us

thanks basement i'll email dell and see what they come up with, ill let you know how it goes.
    also the dell computer came with mcafee installed.
    sorry about not getting back to you guys on the spyware problem, i know its annoying when people dont finish what they start but i havent used the spyware ridden computer in a while and i forgot i had even posted a problem in the spyware forum.