Thread: hp problems

Default hp problems

I have an older hp model 8276, i changed the hard drive it does nothing. just goes click click click....does this mean the mother board is shot? I phoned HP right before i put the new hard drive in and it is compatiable, and yes the computer was doing that same noise before installing the new hard drive thats why i thought intially it was the hard drive, I lost all info from the computer but i do have all the disks that i need..but now upon replacing the hard drive , it still goes click click click....

You need to explain in more detail. Did the PC work before you installed the new HD? Could you/did you load a new Operating system on it?
    Some PC makers, like HP/IBM. just can not use any hard drive, have to use one marketed by them.

Cheers

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This is called the click of death and means the hard drive is no good.
    The more you try running the drive the less likely you will be able to retrieve any data although to do that would cost an arm and a leg. Hope you have backups.
    If new get a replacement under warranty.
    The cause can be varied from a faulty power supply not providing enough power to the drive to a manufacturing fault.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.