Default [b]HELP- Can I change an Ex Network PC to a Home one?? - [/b

Hi all,
    I'm new here and my PC knowledge is moderate, although I'm responsible for 64 networked PC's at work - as a "bolt on role" i.e NO extra cash, qualification - I know that Microsoft office isn't really a building!
    Anyway, We recently upgraded the base units & I was allowed to take 5 spares to donate to a local charity. Here's the Dumbass bit - I simply do not know how to get them to act as Desktop PC's, if that's possible? They have a 20GB harddrive & Windows XP O/S but - obviously keep looking for the network Host Server. I imagine I need to change something in the 'Boot Up' sequence to change this & would appreciate any help you can give me! :? The center I want to donate them to would also be extremely grateful. I've browsed this site & it seems to be one of the most helpful, non - patronising I've come across. I look forward to contributing too -Dave

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Dave,

Welcome!

Let me strongly recommend to you that you reformat and reinstall all of the PCs that you plan on donating. When you erase data from a hard drive, it's never truly erased unless data is written OVER it. If there's ANY chance that there is sensitive or personal data on those PCs' hard drives, you should reformat them.

This utility is helpful when erasind hard disks:
    http://www.help2go.com/article91.html

Also, this way, you can re-install Windows XP or the OS of the charity's choice without worrying about the network. Another thing you should be careful of is licensing -- when you donate a PC with software and Windows already on it, you are donating those software licenses as well.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions!
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Default Thanks Oscar

Oscar - Cheers, I thought that may be the case - I now need to find out how to re-format! I will try the link, thanks again for the help, really appreciated!

Dave