GreggNC

Default Illegal Operation Messages

Everytime I'm through using my computer,or have to go back to Desktop for any reason,I get "This Program has performed an illegal Operation,and will be Shut down".I just click the X,and it goes away.
    Also I cannot run Scandisk,or Defrag even in Safe Mode.Defrag just stops after about 1/2 way through,and Scandisk just keeps starting over and over until it starts over 10 times,then message appers saying "Scandisk has started over 10 times.Please contact vendor.(Bought computer in 99,have added memory,but tech support for HP after warranty is $40.00 by phone)
    Any Ideas anyone? GreggNC

What operating system are you using? Charlie

GreggNC

Default Operating System?

Windows 98

Have you kept your computer up to date by downloading the critical updates from Microsoft? If not, try downloading them and see if that helps.

GreggNC

Default updates

Yes!I have ALWAYS checked to see if there was anything I needed.Just 2 days ago,I downloaded Security Patch for IE.
    I think when I can afford to do so,I need to take it in and have it looked at,and updated. GreggNC

Just one more thought. Have you tried re-installing W98 or "repairing" using the W98 CD? Maybe there's a problem with the operating system itself.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

First check to see if the Desk Top is set as an Active Desktop. If so reverse that.
    To disable the Active Desktop, right-click an empty area on the desktop, point to Active Desktop, and then click View As Web Page to clear the check mark.
    There are a number of other possibilities including missing Icons or Wallpaper, corrupt Windows Explorer and/or Internet Explorer or a corrupt user.exe file.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.