Default Added memory from 256 MB to 1GB but no discernable speed up

I have a Dell 8200. It is a Pentium 4 and came 3 yrs. ago with 1.70 GHz and 256 RAM. I now have installed more memory and have 1 GB RAM! My problem is, it didn't seem to speed up anything. That's the only reason I bought it. Dell said it would take me from a Volkswagen to a Ferrari! I have dial-up and I don't expect it to help there, but thought it would bring things up faster. Any suggestions? Bonanzarandy

The increased memory will let your computer run more complex programs and graphics faster if you have no other bottlenecks slowing you down. As you said, the dial up can only go so fast. The speed of your processor and the speed that you can access info from your hard drive also play a part. A Volkswagen and a Ferrari go the same speed in heavy traffic. Going from 256 to 512 for XP is highly recommended, but 1GB might be overkill unless you are into heavy gaming with extreme graphics. If that is the case, a better graphics card might be your answer. Just make sure your motherboard can handle it. Evtra speed in the graphics card doesn't work if the motherboard won't handle it. Need to know if your motherboard AGP slot is 2X, 4X, or 8X. Charlie

More memory really helps when the computer has lots of things to do at once. You probably will not notice much speed difference when running just one appliaction. But if you are running several applications at once then you should see an improvement (subject to other bottlenecks as already mentioned).

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

In most cases you will not see much improvement over 512 meg.
    The only time extra memory comes into play is when heavy duty programs are being used such as high end games and video editing.
    The average piece of software will not show any increase.
    It stands to logic that is an application need 100 meg to run having 1000 won't make any difference.
    In fact in many cases have too much memory can actually slow a system down.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Al

Another suggestion would be to take a look at what programs you have running in the background. Unloading some of these that you dont need can help speed up things.
    The Microsoft System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) tells Windows what programs to start on bootup. To see what is running when Windows boots, click Start>>Run. Enter msconfig and click OK. Select the Startup tab. Clear anything you don't think you need.

In addition to all of the excellent mentioned items, you will be held back by two other factors:

1. The on board cache of your 1.7gb processor, which is 256k.

2. The fsb speed of your system, which is 400mhz.

The most obvious speed boost I have noted was replacing a P4 processor with 256k cache with a P4 with 512k cache. If your system will allow it, an upgrade to a 1.8A, or 2.0A P4 processer would be a big boost.
    A good horse, strong woman and my .30-.30 rifle. Not much more a man needs. (well, except a computer that is!!)