drosen

Default remote pc operation

how can you obtain an ip address of your computer (or network) remotely, i want to use vnc but i have a dynamic ip so it makes it difficult if i am not near the comp i want to connect to.

Member Help2Go Moderator

What kind of connection is this Dynamic IP controlled by? If it's controlled by Dial-Up it's not easiest thing to do in the world but it can be done. If it's controlled by Cable that would be the very easiest thing to do, if it's controlled by DSL to where you have to logon to the server that can be difficult also but not impossible...

Partie™

drosen

Default ip address

it is a dsl connection,

Member Help2Go Moderator

Is this a DSL connection that you have to logon to or is it an "always on" connection?

Partie™

The only thing I can think of is install a messenger like yahoo messenger on both machines. Make it so that yahoo runs from start up on the remote machine. Send an instant message to the remote machine. Run a DOS prompt (NT/2000/XP: Start>Run>cmd | 9x/ME: Start>Run>command.com)
    Type "netstat" (minus the quotes) The 3rd or 4th line of code that appears should give you the remote machines IP.

Member Help2Go Moderator

That's pretty smooth Shinobi I've spent about 2 weeks trying to write the perfect batch file to do what he asks. Wish I would've thought of that.

Partie™

Thanks Partie, praise from Caesar indeed I just figured there must be an easy way to form a connection between the two machines regardless of dynamic, static or sticky IP address. Not sure if my advice will be practical for the original poster or not, but it should work as I have tested it out with a friend.