RonD

Default Outlook Express problem

Hi there,

I have three address's being managed by my OE. Two work just fine but my main one shows this message

Message could not be displayed
    Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.

I did a mass delete on this addy from my inbox to my deleted items folder... it deleted everything in all my folders in regards to this single address and whe I try to open anything I get this message and then everything disappears completely if I go out of OE and then re-enter it moments later... any ideas on how to fix this problem..

Thanks in advance RonD

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This error can occur if you are using an Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) e-mail account, and your connection to this account is dropped
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

RonD

Thanks for the quick response....How do I find that out??

Thanks Ron

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Maybe an explanation on what IMAP is will help.
    IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. It is a method of accessing electronic mail or bulletin board messages that are kept on a (possibly shared) mail server. In other words, it permits a "client" email program to access remote message stores as if they were local. For example, email stored on an IMAP server can be manipulated from a desktop computer at home, a workstation at the office, and a notebook computer while traveling, without the need to transfer messages or files back and forth between these computers.

IMAP's ability to access messages (both new and saved) from more than one computer has become extremely important as reliance on electronic messaging and use of multiple computers increase, but this functionality cannot be taken for granted: the widely used Post Office Protocol (POP) works best when one has only a single computer, since it was designed to support "offline" message access, wherein messages are downloaded and then deleted from the mail server. This mode of access is not compatible with access from multiple computers since it tends to sprinkle messages across all of the computers used for mail access. Thus, unless all of those machines share a common file system, the offline mode of access that POP was designed to support effectively ties the user to one computer for message storage and manipulation. more...

To figure out whether you're using POP or IMAP to read your mail in Outlook, go to Outlook's Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts.
    On the window that pops up, choose View or change existing e-mail accounts, and click Next.
    On the next window to pop up, look for your HSS account in the list. If, under Type, it is listed as an IMAP/SMTP account, you're using IMAP; if POP/SMTP, you're using POP.

Bottom line is check with your ISP for the correct settings.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.