guest00

Default bad response from server

I have just recently installed Apache 2.0, and removed my old HTTP server. Everything worked fine with the old one, but now with Apache everyone but myself gets a "Bad response from server" or "Page cannot be diplayed" or other similar response.

I'v been going through the config file for awhile now and I do not see anything that could cause the files to be restricted from outside users. I also don't think there is any problem with my computer itself because other HTTP servers have worked just fine, and it meets the requirements. Are there any ideas or suggestions that I could try to fix this problem?

Sorry if this is answered somewhere on the site, but I have looked and could not find it.

- seph@mchsi.com

Member Help2Go Moderator

mind if you give me the URL or IP of this HTTP server so I can take a peek at it?

guest00

Default reply

server IP: 12.217.172.234

that is the IP of my router, but port forwarding/virtual hosting has been setup for port 80 to be forwarded to 192.168.2.97 (my own IP).

Member Help2Go Moderator

I see you're online right now, mind contacting me via MSN so i can chat realtime with you about this? My MSN Messenger username is "unknowntogod@msn.com" (no quotes).

Partie™

Member Help2Go Moderator

Also, you didn't have to change the port number of the server response did you? I know quite a few ISPs block incoming on port 80 because it's against their TOS. If you changed that part of the httpd config in the older version of apache and forgot to do it this time that may be causing it. Also, the bad request error is error 400 which basically means the client and/or server cannot agree on the HTTP protocol request.

Member Help2Go Moderator

I tried sending an http request from telnet also, it didn't work. It was a mix of 2 errors, 404 or 400 which it seems as other people are getting. You may want to take a look at your network settings again and make sure you are forwarding to the correct IP that has the Apache server installed on it.

guest00

alright, i'll try playing around with a few things, but if i turn apache off and open the other HTTP server, it works for everyone...strange.

MSN wont be possible, apparently microsoft changed something in their servers the other day and hotmail/msn messenger have been acting a bit screwy since.

i do have aim though, SN: elverion

Member Help2Go Moderator

So, i've spent the last...probably 1.5 hours talking to guest on AIM trying to figure out what happened or why it's not working. Only thing I can come up with is that Apache was not installed correctly/corrupted download OR that it's a bug with hardware according to the Apache bugtraq. I even went through the Router manual to make sure it wasn't blocking the port forwarding and we went through the router config step by step to setup a server inside a LAN. I also changed his httpd.conf file to reflect the Listen and servername directives that needed to be changed and that was to no avail. Anyone have any more suggestions...

Partie™