Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    126
    Points
    18

    Default XP SP2 won't let me download anything !

    I have a dual boot system, XP Pro and '98SE.
    Whenever I click on a download link from XP I get an error : '....could not be saved because the source file could not be read. Try again later or contact the server administrator'.
    However, if I boot to '98 and try to download the same file, the download completes with no problem.
    I suspect that it's probably the SP2 update that's causing the restriction. Does anybody know of a work-around (other than uninstalling SP2) ?

  2. #2
    Member Oddjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London, U.K.
    Posts
    1,981
    Points
    248

    Default

    Hi Rad24

    Some things to try other than uninstalling SP2.

    1. delete the cookies, temp files [inc offline content] and clear history

    2. TOOLS\INTERNET OPTIONS\SECURITY\CUSTOM LEVEL and check that "enable downloads" has a tick beside it.

    3. After installing SP2, Windows will check for a digital signature when you download a file. If one doesn't exist, you will get a warning when you try and run the file. This can be very annoying especially if you are quite sure you want to run the particular file. To turn this off do this:

    Go into Internet Options then Advanced. Uncheck "Check for signatures on downloaded programs", click Apply then OK.

    Last resort - get rid of SP2. Maybe roll XP back to a restore point.

    Hope something I've said helps. If not - you know the drill. Post here again and see what other contributors think.

    Cheers.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    126
    Points
    18

    Default

    Hi Oddjob, thanks for the response. I should have mentioned that I use Mozilla for my browser and e-mail. Anyway out of curiosity I started Internet Explorer and went to download a file and it worked just fine !
    So the problem appears to be with Mozilla. I'm going over to their website to see if anyone else is having a similar problem.
    I'll post back if I find anything.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    126
    Points
    18

    Default

    I found the solution to my problem : apparently it's a bug in Mozilla which can be solved by deleting or renaming the file : Mozilla\components\compreq.dat

    After I renamed this file, download manager worked normally.
    Thanks for the help.

  5. #5
    Member Oddjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London, U.K.
    Posts
    1,981
    Points
    248

    Default

    Glad to be of help although, in this case, I'm not exactly sure where I helped you! Oh well - you got there in the end.

    I, too, have recently moved over to Mozilla. It's been fine up to now but I'll bear your reasearch in mind if the issue ever crops up with me.

    Cheers.