Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Biz

Default Change IE Title Bar

Greetings Problem Solvers! I want to read something unique on my IE Title Bar. I have changed the info there before but now forget how. I think the info shown as per http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;176497 is the way I did it, but now have SP2 and so that article no longer applies. Can someone tell me if it can still be done on my OS and how to do it? Biz

Hi Biz

The place you want is in the registry.

WARNING - I urge you NOT to change anything in the registry unless you are completely happy with the process. Getting it wrong could cause untold damage.

Before amending any registry entry key keep a copy of the key in case you need to refer to it afterwards.

Moving on: go to

Start>run>type "regedit" [without speech marks]>click OK.

This will take you to the registry editor.

You will see two panes - on the left the registry keys and on the right a fuller description.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>software>Microsoft>Internet explorer>main

At that point you will see a list of items in the right hand pane. Almost at the foot of that list you will see "Window Title" and, to the right of that, REG-SZ.

The current wording of the title bar is shown to the right of REG_SZ. You may amend it to your own message.

When done close the registry editor and reboot IE. The new title should appear at the top.

Hope this helps but please remember all warnings.

Cheers.

Biz

Thank you for the reply and warning re:registry Oddjob, but the info you supplied is given at the site I gave above. All goes well until the "Window Title" selection. "Window Title" is NOT listed. Perhaps the reason is the instructions do not apply to ME w/ SP2 (onlySP1). Any other suggestion appreciated. Biz

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Biz. I'm running xp sp2 and come up with the same results as you. So, this seems that this is an sp2 problem, or there may be a different Registry entry for this and ms hasn't got around to correcting/identifying the procedure. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they'll do. Support for update problems on line is free, however you'll probably have to wait in line for help.

Member Help2Go Moderator

The Window Title registry entry doesn't exist on a normal install of Windows. It only exists if it's added by a piece of software such as AOL (Internet Explorer - Provided by AOL). If that key doesn't exist just add it and restart internet explorer.

Sorry Biz. Didn't check out the link you had in your post.

As that didn't work try a slightly different approach to get to the key for editing.

After you go to..........

Start>run>type "regedit" [without speech marks]>click OK.

This will take you to the registry editor, as before. Then go to Edit>Find.

In the box try typing two consecutive words from the current title bar. Pick the most two uncommon adjacent words in the title. Then hit "find" or "find next" [whatever the instruction is in your reg. editor].

That should take you to the location of the reg. key with the current title bar. The address of the reg. entry is shown at the foot of the search results. You should then be able to change it to say what you want.

Amend, reboot etc. as before then the new title wording should appear.

Let us know what happens. If still no luck I'll give it more thought.

Biz

Hi Gurus! Canuck, you may very well be correct, but I hope we find a way. PartieHonteuse, that sounds way too complicated for me, and I wouldn’t like to add all the files ect. that would come w/ AOL just for the one “perk” shall we say? Oddjob, put your thinking cap back on as I did as you instructed and that took me right back to “Main” which as discussed, has no “Window Title” listed. Bummer!
    Biz

Member Help2Go Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Biz
    PartieHonteuse, that sounds way too complicated for me, and I wouldn’t like to add all the files ect. that would come w/ AOL just for the one “perk” shall we say?
    Biz
    I'm not saying you have to install the software like AOL or what not for it to be there you just need to ADD IT YOURSELF. All you have to do is go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>software>Microsoft>Internet explorer>main

Then create a new key named Window Title then give it a value of "Your IE Titlebar Title" (change the stuff in quotes to whatever you want.

To make it easier on you just copy and paste the below code into notepad. Once copied into notepad change the text after "Window Title"= ...just make sure to leave the quotes around your text as the code below states.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Window Title"="Change this text here. remember to leave the quotes!"
    After you copied the code and changed the text, click "file" then "save as" save the file as "ietitle.reg" (Save it WITH QUOTES in the filename!) to a place you can find it. Once saved, browse to it and then double click the ietitle.reg file. You'll get a popup/warning asking if you want to merge the file into the registry. Click "yes". Close all internet explorer windows and then reopen IE to look at your new title bar title.

Hope this helps.

Partie™

Keep looking guys!!! I changed my title and DID NOT do it through the registry. But darned if I can remember how!!! If it was not this forum, I'll keep digging!
    Mine now reads Help2Go - Sam's Connections
    A good horse, strong woman and my .30-.30 rifle. Not much more a man needs. (well, except a computer that is!!)

This is what I used, but only have SP1, so I no clue if it will work with SP2:

Unzip - Open

Click on the box that says "NO" then type what ever you want

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast