Default Laptop Nightmares

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I am having with my laptop? It is quite an old one a Compaq Armada 1750, and upon turning the power on it goes to the opening brand name screen, then fails to boot up from there. The hard drive light does not come on and it appears there is no activity at all going on. Has my hard drive failed? Or is it something else? Im quite happy to replace the hard drive if that is the problem, but if it is more then I guess ill scrap it.
    Also I was wondering if anyone might have and be willing to sell any spare DVD ROM, or CD Rewriter Drives that they may have for another laptop, an Acer 210 Travelmate, as you can see im not the luckiest of people with computers, and Im reliably informed that the DVD ROM drive has gone on this laptop as well as the Hard Drive, Im currently in the process of sourcing the Hard Drive, but any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Paul.

paulburrows2000@yahoo.com

paulee have you looked at the post screen (black screen with white writing) for error messages?

you could also check the harddrive manufacturer site for disk diagnostic utilities that you could run.

you could also run the restore disks that came with the laptop and do a reinstall, you would lose everything on your driver though.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

The hard drive just doesnt work full stop after the compaq screen comes up. Im not sure it would work to try and reinstall or restore...
    Its almost as if the hard drive is complete;y broken...