Default Wich videocard is best for my computer?

I was thinking about upgrading my videocard for my computer.
    I currently have a Radeon 9200 256mb installed.
    My system specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 2000+ 1,75 GHz
    512mb 333mhz ddrram
    AOpen AK77-8X Max Motherboard
    Radeon 9200 256mb
    80 Gig HD
    Windows XP Pro

So my question for you is:
    Is there any point in getting a new videocard for my computer or should I just wait til I can upgrade the whole computer? Im a young student so I dont have much money to use for the computer.
    And if you think I should upgrade the videocard, wich one would be the best for my computer, I mean, wich one will I be able to get the most out of? Since my computer is getting a bit old, I guess I wont be able to use the newest cards but wich one would you recomend?
    I hope to play HL2 in deasent videosettings if I get a new videocard, aswell as Doom 3 wich currently runs kinda slow on my computer... :wink:

Thanks for any replies
    William Persson / SWE

I wouldn't bother with a new card until you need one.

If your games run fine and nothing is broken then its a bit of a waste.. technology goes by leaps and bounds these days. If you got a new card now when everything was fine, 6 months from now something might happen that would require a better card than what you bought
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The graphics card leap frogging game being played out by the two major players makes for a new model weekly.
    Dont; you find it strange that new games requiring the latest card appear around the saem time the card does. Not that there would be any consipring in the computer industry.
    Most of the so called advances are simply hype.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.