Default Add/Remove programs is not all there

After a three day battle with a so called "search assistant" my pc is back to normal except for 2 things. The add/remove option is not there. Just the size and frequency of use. Also there is a scvhost running in processes at start up that runs at 50%-60% usage. Once I end that things go smoothly except for the missing options in A/R programs. I have ran all the recommended scans and they come back clean. Any advice would be appreciated.....Thanks

Just a thought here. Try the safe mode and see if the Add/Remove is OK

Cheers

Default No add/remove

It is not available in "safe mode" either.

Just a thought, Flustered.

You say "back to normal" except for.....Does this means the computer used to be working fine until recently?

If so:

1. have you done something that's caused this, do you think? Installed/uninstalled something?

2. can you roll back the system using XP system restore to a time when all was well? Remember - if you do that you might lose out on updates etc. you carried out between then and now. May have to re-do them so make a note of what they were before you go back.

Let us know what happens.

Best of luck.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Look for appwiz.cpl file in windows\system32 folder. It is a type of control panel extension. If it's not there, do a search for it and place it in system32 folder.

My research has also come up with two other possibilities 1) Do a repair .. boot up pc with XP disk in pc and when loaded press the R key and go through the steps. 2) Installing sp2 has corrected the problem.

If you have another pc available you could copy the file from it and replace it on yours.

Hope this helps

My computer was fine untill I mistakenly allowed "180searchASSistant" entry. As explained previously I finally won that battle. I did roll my system back to an earlier date and "180" came with it. Now, for what ever reason, I have some items in my add/remove that weren't there before. There is no change or remove for them just usage which is rarely. I found a couple had to do with a new printer I recently got. I am now searching out the others. I do appreciate the help, this site has saved me more than once.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Suggest you follow the directions given here http://www.help2go.com/postt9714.html . When you have completed all the steps, post your Highjackthis log to this thread. These steps will ensure you have no malware and will hopefully solve your problem at the same time.