rylo022000

Default I am in need of major help please

Hello all. I have a compaq presario 1247 notebook pc. The other day it was working great, except for the cd-rom. So I tried to hook it up, cause it said it was not working. I hit fdisk and did something not really sure all that was done in there. I then tried quick restore. That didn't work, it went to restore, and stopped. Now when I turn the computer on, it loads the compaq name then shows a message saying. <Missing Operating System> So I can get into the BIOS area, but that does me no good, cause I know nothing about BIOS. I am really lost here, I need my computer to work like yesterday. Please someone help me. It also shows that my BIOS shadowed, and the video BIOS is shadowed as well. I am sure if they can be unshadowed I might be able to restore everything. However I am new to this computer deal. So I am still a bit lost. Thanks for hearing me and my problem, any and all help, wil be great. I am running windows 98 second edition if this helps any.

The fdisk command is the command to erase the harddrive. I'm afraid that everything that was on your hard drive is gone, including the operating system. If anything was absolutely irreplacible, it might be possible to recovery it, but it won't be cheap. Someone else may have suggestions. Charlie

rylo022000

Thank you Charlie, do you think there is any other way to completely, dump the system. So I can start fresh. Ronald.

rylo022000

I was able to upgrade my memory in my system, so shouldn't I be able to delete everything then reinstall DOS and then everything else that I need to get back up and running. Ronald.

You will need an original operating system installation disc, the registration code for the same and a fully functioning CD ROM drive.
    From your earlier post I gather you at least don't have the last requirement.
    If / when you have everything necessary to install an operating system, click on this link for instructions on how to proceed.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The lesson is don't do anything you are not 100% sure of.
    Seeing as your original problem was a failed CD drive everything that follows depends if the drive works. If not then you have but one choice and that is take it to a technician.
    First you need a Windows Start Up Disk.
    This can be made on any Windows 98 machine or downloaded.
    Boot up with this floppy. When asked if you want CD support answer YES.
    The start up disk will create a D: drive in RAM and add some tools into it. This means it renames the CD drive, temporarily, to Drive E:
    Put a CD, either Win98 or a Restore CD in the CD Drive. At the A: prompt type (Without the quotes) "E:" and press the enter key.
    If an E: prompt is displayed type "dir" You should se a scolled list of the CD contents. If so you are in luck. If not then to the Techo it is.
    Assumng all is well go Back to the A: prompt by typing "A:" and pressing the enter key.
    As you have damaged the drive you need to recreate the partition and format the drive.
    Next you will need to remove the existing partition if it exists and create a new one, format and install Windows.
    Print and follow the instructions at on using fdisk, deleting and creating a partition, reformatting and installing Win98.
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tu...rial.php/id/36

Hope you CD drive works.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

rylo022000

Thank you all for your kind support.