WayCoolJr

Default Win2000 installation & USB hub

I'm trying my hardest to install Win2000 on my PC (Amd350, 128MB Ram, Soundblaster Live, ATI Rage 128). This computer is NOT connected to the internet. It has an Interex 4-port USB hub which connects the mouse and a scanner. Win2000 doesn't seem to see a mouse and it sees the hub as an "unsupported" device.

How can I get Win2000 to co-operate and see these things? There was no problem with Win98!

Thanks!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

As far as I can tell the Hub is really only good with Win95/98 and a MAC.
    Search showed no support for it and Windows 2000 or XP at all.
    As for Win2K asking for net access where did you ge tthe copy from?
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

WayCoolJr

Nowhere did I say that Win2000 was asking for net access. I have only pointed out that my computer has no net access. I got it from a friend who has moved on to XP.

So my USB mouse is now outdated?I sure am glad I didn't get a USB keyboard or printer!

Whoozie isn't saying your USB mouse is outdated !
    He's pointing out that the Interex USB Hub you have is not supported by Windows 2000.
    If you have standard PS2 mouse and keyboard I'd use them while installing the Operating System. Then, if you have USB ports available on your motherboard use them to connect your mouse and keyboard directly.
    Make sure you install the software before connecting any USB components.

WayCoolJr

Okay, but Win2000 doesn't find any new hardware in the wizard, so I go to find it myself. The only Interex items in Win2000s list are all modems.

I try to start the EXE (3dmoused.exe) on the floppy that came with the mouse, it reads from the floppy for a few seconds then stops... nothing else. The only other EXE on the floppy is an uninstall.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

As I tried to explain previously Win2000 does not support anywhere as near as many devices as Win98 or XP.
    It was designed as an interim OS for business networks prior to XP Pro.
    It's support for periphials was and remains limited to basics.
    Yoiur choices are go back to Win98, struggle with 2000 or upgrade to XP.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.