Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default computer boot problem

one of my xp pro computers is having some trouble starting.
    the computer goes through post, and the starting windows xp screen appears, usually after this the xp screen disappears and the screen is black just before the login screen comes up, but now after the loading xp screen goes away the screen just stays black, the hd activity light blinks but thats all?
    thanks

Hi Hardeep, have you tried booting to 'last known good configuration' ?
    You can get this option by pressing F8 during the boot process.

You can also select Safe Mode and see if the boot completes.
    From Safe Mode you could remove any recently installed programs that may be causing the problem.

yes rad ive tried both last known good and safe mode, same thing happens in both instances.

Default Computer boot problem

Couple of things to try :

Boot from your XP CD and run Recovery Console by pressing 'R' at the prompt.
    You'll need to enter your administrator password.
    Type 'chkdsk /r' and press 'Enter'. This will test for and repair disk errors.
    To exit Recovery Console type 'exit' and the computer will re-start.

If that doesn't solve the problem boot to a command prompt and type
    'sfc /scannow'. You may be asked for your XP CD.
    This will check the Windows system files and restore any that are damaged.

If any files are restored and you can then boot your computer successfully, you should visit the Microsoft update site and confirm you have the latest version. (you may have to re-install the service packs).

Hope this helps, post back and let us know.

sorry about taking so long to post back rad, the thing is now the computer wont even get to the loading xp screen, the computer is powered on and and just seems to hang at the part is should be auto detecting pri master etc.
    i have tried the disk as a slave on another system and it was getting read no problem. i did remember to set the jumpers back to master when putting it back into the original system but ive seem to have made steps backward.

also i remember if the hard disk isnt getting detected it would say so, but here what happens is that the bios hangs on "wait...." and doesnt even try to detect primary and secondary master and slave disks.

one last thing, i know the drive is getting power as i can hear and feel it spinning, also ive tried another disk in the computer (one i know is good), and the same thing happens

Hi hardeep, you seem to have eliminated the possibility of the fault being with the hard drive.
    The next component to test would be the IDE cable, try swapping this for a new one.
    If still no luck, that leaves the motherboard as the cause of the problem. The easiest thing to try is replacing the CMOS battery.
    Also if you go to the website of the motherboard manufacturer thay may have some diagnostic procedures you can try or maybe a BIOS update.
    If none of the above are successful then I'm afraid it's time to consign that motherboard to the trash can.
    Good luck !

hi rad, thanks for the quick reply, ok so let me just update you on the situation, i turned the computer on with the hard disk disconnected and the bios completed the search for primary and secondary master and slave hard disks (not finding anything ofcourse it asked for a bootable floppy), so i connected the hard disk and the computer decided to boot to the windows logon screen (also the scan for the primary and secondary masters and slave's took much longer than usual).
    the problem then was the keyboard and mouse didnt work ( i seem to remember that is what happened just before the computer froze and i had to restart to find it couldnt boot).
    anyway now after god know's how many reboots the bios detects the hard disk, (still taking an absolute age) and the keyboard and mouse work also.
    i do feel very nervous using this computer now, im just waiting for it to go down again, it's an old system (maybe 4 years old) and i cant help but think it's on its way out.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Why not simply reinstall windows.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast