Default Ipaq 3630. PC doesnt detect the pocket PC.

Hi everyone. I am new to the groups and this is my first post.
    I have an IPAQ 3630 which I used successfully for a while but haven't used for over a year. I am now trying to get it going again without success. My old computer which I had when I was using the Ipaq before, was on Windows 98SE. My new one is on XP professional, which may be a reason why I am having the problems.
    When I bought the ipaq on e-bay, used, it came with a CD which had the Windows pocket pc 2002 plus Active Sync on it. It is a home-written CD (not the commercial one which came with the Ipaq when it was new). It worked ok before but now the PC doesnt even recognise there is a disc in the drive.
    I have downloaded the latest version of Activesync V 1.37 (I think), which runs ok. I cannot find anywhere to download or purchase Windows Pocket PC software, and I have searched the internet thoroughly. I downloaded an update to Pocket PC 2002 in the hope it would put the entire programme in but it wont start due to some file being missing.
    I start up Activesync and follow the instructions to connect to my Ipaq, but it fails to detect the ipaq even though it is clearly connecting since the ipaq turns on and off when the PC is turned on/off.
    Activesync help said I have to install updates to the latest Avantgo to correct connecting problems. I downloaded it but that wont start up either.
    I reckon the problem is basically because I havent got Pocket PC on my PC, but I dont understand the relationship between Pocket PC and Activesync. The Compaq help stuff and Ipaq manuals give zero information about the software they just say follow the instructions on the CD which came with the Ipaq.
    I want the Ipaq to reinstall Memory Map Pocket Navigator (which is all I bought the Ipaq for in the first place) to use in the car for a moving-map navigation system, which is brilliant. I had it on my motorcycle before, but it crashed and lost all the map data every time the Ipaq screen had hot European sun shining on the screen, so I gave up on it. I now want to use it again in the car.
    I look forward to hearing your suggestions.
    Best regards, and thanks.
    Ted99.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The question is does the IPAQ work at all on any other system.
    You need to determine if it is functioning at all.
    Also check the clock on computer. Many people are having problems when their system changes time due to start/end of daylight saving. The PDA and Computer must be in sync.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks whoozhe.
    I set the clocks on both and after a lot of unsuccessful attempts it synchronised OK and transferred loads of stuff to the Ipaq, so it is all working ok now, thanks a million.
    BUT! I then tried to connect the Memory Map Navigator programme on the PC to the Ipaq to install "Pocket Navigator" onto the Ipaq. I did this before(a year ago) and it was straightforward. However ,now, it said "Mem Map Pocket Navigator OS2004 does not support the connected device type".

I looked into the properties of Mem Map Nav and it said it will only work with the op system Windows Pocket PC 2002 on the Ipaq.
    My Ipaq has the original OP System Windows CE Version 3.0.9348)build 9616)
    A few days ago I downloaded an update to Windows Pocket PC 2002 from earlier?? versions of Pocket PC, but I dont know how to actually carry out that update from my PC to the Ipaq, and in fact I dont know if Windows Pocket PC is compatible with Windows CE or is a replacement for CE. In fact I am pretty lost here.
    Have you any advice to offer on this? All interesting stuff, but I wish my grey-matter was younger and brighter.

Ted.