Steph (UK)

Default Adaware update problem

Hi all, I'm having problems downloading the latest reference file update to Adaware 6.0 (free version) - it just freezes immediately at 5% and says it's finished. When I click Cancel it gives me a message that the dowload was not complete and a warning that "reference file not found". Also, the reference file it's trying to download is dated 2002 (Build 000001, Date 26-10.2002). Does anyone have any ideas about this? I've been using Adaware for some months now and this is the first time I've had problems with it :? (I've tried disconnecting and trying again, several times, but it makes no difference).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
    Steph

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Steph,

Sometimes files may get damaged and no matter what you do nothing will fix it. I suggest you uninstall Adaware 6 and download it again and then update. Here's the URL http://www.lavasoftusa.com/purchase hope this helps.

Steph (UK)

Hi Canuck - that was quick! I'll try uninstalling and then downloading again as you suggest. I haven't uninstalled anything before (well, I did remove something once, ages ago, and made a complete dog's breakfast of it ) - do I just do it through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or is there something else I need to do as well?

Thanks
    Steph

No Steph, you've got it right, nothing more to do than the Add/remove. Let us know how you get on.

You've done it again Canuck - uninstalled then downloaded as you said and now everything is working perfectly - thanks!!

Steph

Your very welcome Steph

timemechanic

Just out of interest, this appears to have been a global issue. My adaware, the adaware on my computer at work and the computer of my housemate all stalled at 5% when trying to update. Obviously Lavasoft put a corrupt file up by accident.
    What is strange is when I installed Adaware SE from a fresh download on all three of these computers, it picked up hundreds of nasty spyware and adware installations. (DyFuCA, VX2, 180solutions etc) What is even stranger is that they were the same infections on all three computers, and I had scanned all three computers the day before the failed web update, and no software whatsoever had been downloaded or installed on any of the machines in the interim period.
    I have to assume that the earlier version of Adaware, no matter how up to date it was kept, was not as efficient as I though at picking up spyware.
    I am sure that noone could have hijacked Lavasoft's update server and put a file full of spyware to download instead of an update, as that would be paranoid of me and does not bear contemplation.

We have to be deeply grateful to Lavasoft anyway for providing this great free service.
    I would however, with regard to my comments above, stop updating your old adaware and download the new SE one immediately.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I suggest you uninstall adaware, download a fresh copu of the SE Personal version and apdate it as soon as it is installed.
    There has been a chanbge in Adaware versions and I am now possitive that older versions were subject to amlicious code especially from any software that jumped in to bed with MyWay speed bar. That includes Musicmatch. I found 57 items added by the hideous Musicmatch program which will never see the HD of my system again.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.