Raquel001

Default Messanger service tells me dwnld the patch?

Hi! I keep getting a message from Messanger Service, says my system is affected, dwnload the patch from www.windowspatch.net? Tells me a list of affected software, ect....

Does anyone know what this is and is it imperitive that I pay for the patch?
    I can't close the message either.
    Dont know what to do
    TY so much for your help

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Raquel001 ,

You did right to question this. It is nothing more than rip-off artists trying to pass themselves off as Microsoft. You some how have malware on your PC. You should run Ad-Adware available here http://www.lavasoft.de/ it's free, hopefully it will find it and you can get rid any garbage it finds. If this is not successful, let us know, we have an awesome forum .. Spyware Help where you can follow easy instructions to clean your PC.

Al

I would recommend also disabling the messenger service:

Windows XP Home:

Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
    Click Performance and Maintenance
    Click Administrative Tools
    Double click Services Scroll
    down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

Raquel001

Default now what?

Hi Canuck and thank you for your response, Again. :wink: Seems as if Lavasoft found lots of stuff! I have the screen open still because it ran a scan but now what?

I have no clue what to do. Looks like plenty is going on but can ya help me out now? The scan is open now showing "Scan summary, critical objects and scan log". It gives me option to to quarentine. I'm not sure what I should remove though (items to be checked). Just wanted your help, please.
    thx!!!

What did Adaware find? Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Raquel001

Ya mean, what didn't it find? 8O

I have 179 critical items? I'm lost here. Topmoxie, Alexa, begin2search, clickspring, possible browser hijack.....................?????

Go ahead an quarantine them. In the unlikely event that any are needed, you can retrieve them. After you are sure they aren't needed, they can be deleted. I would suggest that you have a look at this article.
    http://www.help2go.com/article217.html
    Follow the directions, then post a HiJack log to Spyware help forum. Don't worry if you don't know what a Hijack log is, the article will explain it. Once your computer is clean, you need to be sure you have virus and spyware protection running on your computer. The article will help you with that.
    Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Do what Al suggests and do is fast.
    Windows Messenger is not MSN Messenger. It was designed for Instant Messaging within a LAN network. On the net it is exploited by every man and his dog. It serves no real purpose.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

fuzzybearxo

Default thank you

thank you.i downloaded ad-aware. hope it works.thanks for your help.

Default Re: Messanger service tells me dwnld the patch?

Deleted by Basementgeek