Default HELP - vanishing words invisible progs

HELP

I have a number of weird and worrying things ahppened to my PC since a failed install of norton internet security...
    1- the add/remove programmes utility will no longer open fully - i just get a blank window
    2- the "programms" folder on the C drive comes up as a blank window (tho i can see progs by going to "explore"
    3- I can't see IM messgaes or chat in chat rooms etc...either ones I have written or other people writing - just blank window again.

ANY help appreciated

Phil (edit)

Hi scoopnet

Only thing I can think of is the use Explorer.exe & right-click on those folders & check the SECURITY tab on them.

Set it to EVERYONE allowed and then see what happens after a reboot.

Also, check to see if the files have the 'hidden' attribute applied to them as well, if so, remove it.

Have you tired to instigate "repairs" by using the operating system program CD?

Please post back and let us know what happens. If my suggestions fail other thoughts will follow.

By the way I recommend you don't post your email address in public forums. Spammers will search all forums and collect email addresses for their own purposes.

Best of luck.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Norton again.
    Try restoring to a point prior to the aborted installation.
    After which toss Norton in the trash can where it belongs.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.