Default do i need a modem or a router?

i have a computer on the third floor of my house connected via a westell 2200 dsl modem. my husband has a computer in the basement (i.e. FOUR flights down) which he would like to hook up to dsl as well. i'v been told that only one modem can run on a phone line and that i need a router. how do i hook up one machine to two computers four flights away? AND my computer has ethernet and his doesn't; does that make it more complicated?
    thanks!

For starters, an ethernet card can be added to his computer for about $10. The four flights of distance create some obstacles, but it is not impossible. i would rule out wireless, at that distance and with floors and walls, it wouldn't be reliable if it connected at all. How you run the cables will depend on your house. You need to run an ethernet cable from the router to each computer and you need to connect the modem to the router. It is usually easier to locate the router close to the modem. How you run the cable is up to you. Look to see how existing wires and cables are run, you may be able to follow their path. Charlie

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If I may add to Grim322's post, first I agree with his observations that a wireless router may not do the job, especially if there is concrete and wires that may impede the transmission. I have just gone the hardwire route, should you decide to do this, it is very important that the CAT 5 wire is not crimped or bent at sharp angles. Unless you are really handy with wiring I suggest an electrician do the job for you.

thank you for the advice!

May want to still consider the wireless route. Put the modem and wireless router like on the first floor and install wireless cards on both PC. This is assuming that you have a phone line on the first floor.

Of course if the primary PC is on 3rd floor, the one with the most use, if a phone line is on the second floor, put them on the second floor.

Use 802.11g equipment, it is faster and greater range than 802.11b.

Cheers

I'm not 100% on this as networking isn't my thing....but having looked at the specs of your modem I don't think you need a router as the modem you have is already a router. Take a look at this:

http://www.westell.com/content/produ..._datasheet.pdf

"Benefits - eliminates the need for a costly router"

Now how to hook up your pc's...well as I say I don't know much about this but we have a similar set up where I work and we just use a simple hub:

PC1
    ¦
    HUB----ROUTER-----PHONE WALL SOCKET
    ¦
    PC2

You are correct Shinobi, didn't realize it was also a router. You will need a hub and connect according to diagram. You still need to run the cable between them. Charlie

1) what's a hub?
    2) when i emailed westell, i told them i had a 2200 and asked if i needed another modem or a router and they said i needed a router???

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

A hub is basically a splitter, where you only have one outlet you put a hub connection into the single outlet but the hub itself has multiple outlets to connect to more than one pc, just like a power bar or electric extension cord where you can plug in more than one appliance. The newer routers do have four or five 'plugins'.

I just checked out the Westell site, this is what I noted:
    Westell technical support is offered to Internet Service Providers, independent phone companies, and distributors.
    If you are an end user, please contact your Internet Service Provider for technical support.
    . I suggest you check with your service provider and see what they say.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

To have a wireless network that will cover that area will also cover a ver wide radius. You will also be subject to interference and possible hacking.
    You can use your existing telephone lines to hook up the two computers.
    It is called HPNA.
    Have a look at http://www.homenethelp.com/network/phoneline.asp
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.