Default Dial-up V UK Broadband

AVG had a new update tonight it was 3272.7 KBytes- it took me 12mins to download at between 4.4 and 4.6 kBytes/sec- could any of you folks tell me an estimate of how long that download might have taken if I had Broadband cheers Jim.

I just downloaded the update, don't have AVG myself but just as a speed comparison it took about 16 seconds for me to download it.
    I have NTL 600K broadband connection.

Mine took about 5-6 seconds on 2-3 meg cable.

Cheers

Thanks to you both for your answer- that sure is some difference on time, I think if I was downloading music or doing regular work I would have to get Broadband. cheers Jim

No doubt about it, broadband minimum for me. My original dial up was so slow that I hardly used the Web at all. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Quote Originally Posted by woodcock23
    Thanks to you both for your answer- that sure is some difference on time, I think if I was downloading music or doing regular work I would have to get Broadband. cheers Jim
    Hi Jim,

You know you really might consider getting broadband anyway. Dial up will eventually die out in the UK and a lot of ISP's pricing for dial up is about the same level as the entry level broadband packages. A lot of people still think it's expensive but there really are some good deals out there. Plusnet do a 1Mb (20 x faster than dial up) package for £15/month with a 1GB data transfer cap. There are quite a few ISP's doing cheap deals like this. You just have to watch out for connection fees and equipment costs which can run up to £100 depending on the ISP, although some offer these for free or on special offer.

Hi Shinobi
    Thanks for the good advice- can you clear a point up for me I am on Freeserve Anytime which is £14.99 a month, Freeserve broadband is about £17? if I get their Broadband does it then cost me £14.99 plus the Broadband cost-sorry I am a bit 'three short planks' about this; I did ask freeserve about this but the answer I got meant they did not understand the way I asked the question; and I am going to check Plusnet tonight cheers. Jim.

No Jim, instead of paying £14.99/month you will now pay £17.00/month in other words just £2 per month more than you're paying now

There is plenty of choice in ISP's...in fact the choices can be a bit daunting sometimes. Just watch out for pitfalls like connection costs, premium rate support lines etc.