rickx

Default 1782 disk controller failure

I was having some problems with my laptop where often times when I started it up it would show "non-system disk........". What I noticed was before this would show up it would flash "1782 disk controller failure". After figuring it out I have ordered a new harddrive for my laptop. What I want to know is is there anyway I can get the files off my old harddrive. I have tried messing with bios and trying to boot from the operating system cd. It says the same thing each time the 1782 message and then the non-system disk message. Sometimes it would fix itself but this time it keeps show ing these messages. I don't understand why I cannot get the computer to boot from the windows xp os cd. If I could then I could do a recovery and temporarily backup all my files. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Rick

You could try this, found it elsewhere - Remove the CMOS battery from system board and boot once. After booting shutdown your system and insert the battery back, again start your system.Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

rickx

Sorry, probably a dumb question, is the cmos battery the laptop battery or something else. Also if it is something on the inside of the laptop. Is there anything else I can try first without actually opening up the laptop.

CMOS battery is inside on the system board. As you're not keen to go there yet I'll see what else can be found. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Most results indicate faulty HD. You say you have ordered a replacement. You'll have to open it up to change it so try the CMOS battery routine first. Be sure to discharge any static before touching the board. Regards