Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't get to run chkdksk to fix ntfs.sys blue screen

Prob: I have an ntfs blue screen error and cannot get to run chkdsk to fix it.
    Qtn: How do I get a form of boot up that will allow me to run chkdsk on the corrupted C drive??

My current plan is that if I can run chkdsk then the ntfs error will be corrected.
    Help requested: How can I get a boot from which I can run chkdsk?

System: Win 2000 sp4, P4 2.6G, 512Ram, 20G HDD Fujitsu MPF3204AT, Mainbd Intel D865GLC, On board Vid, sound & network, 3.5", CDRW (Pristontale, IE, msn messenger). C drive is a single NTFS partition.

Partition Magic 7 (from floppy) reports Error 1516 Partition improperly dismounted (See below for text from PM7 manual.) I can access the driver from the floppy (Calera DOS) boot with the Partition Magic floppy install, but cannot switch to C:\ drive in this dos (because it is ntfs).

Every other attempt to boot gets blue screen error - ntfs.sys. (STOP: 0x0...024) (...) NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM ***Address B.... - ntfs.sys - Message says to run CHKDSK.) Every attempt includes: Last know good config, Debugging mode, Safe mode, Bart PE Builder CD). Also includes: Win2000 install CD, and Win2000 Setup floppies (after 4th floppy, when attempting to start Windows).
    In all cases - get to Win splash screen then showing progress bar then after a bit - blue screen. In safe mode, blue screen appears just after mup.sys text appears to bottom of loading list.

I made a Bart PE CD that includes the chkdsk loading it also blue screens during the Win XP splash screen.
    I have read the press R for Repair instructions for Win2000, but blue scren
    Can I do something during the Win2000 Setup disks? eg Can I get a command line after 3 disks? (To insert floppy with chkdsk on it and type a:\chkdsk C: /F ?)
    (The chkdsk I have on floppy is from the Bart PE, which is XP based. Do I need a different chkdsk for W2000 or will the xp one run from the W2000 Setup disk environment?)

----------------------------------------------
    From Partition Magic Manual
    #1516 Partition improperly dismounted
    The partition dirty flag is set in a restart record in the journal file. This error may have been caused by a power failure or system crash while the Windows NT operating system was writing the partition. Reboot Windows NT and execute CHKDSK /F to repair the damage.

Come on fellas. Doesn't anyone have any ideas to get me started?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Run chkdsk from the recovery console.
    Launch the tool from the Win2K CD-ROM. If the computer can't boot from a CD-ROM, you can use the Win2K setup disks. (If you can't find or didn't previously create setup disks, collect four blank formatted 3.5" disks and label them Disk1, Disk2, Disk3, and Disk4. Insert the Win2K CD-ROM into a working system's CD-ROM drive, and put Disk1 into the disk drive. Click Start, Run. In the Open box, type

<d>:\bootdisk\makeboot a:

where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive. Click OK, then follow the prompts to create the setup disks.)

Insert either the bootable CD-ROM or setup Disk1, and start the affected computer. The Win2K Setup program starts. When Setup asks whether you want to continue installing Win2K, press Enter to continue. When Setup asks whether you want to install a fresh version of Win2K or repair an existing installation, press R to respond that you want to repair your current installation. Then, press C to launch the RC.s

Chckdsk is one of the command you can use.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Close but no cigar! But please keep trying.

whoozhe thanks for your reply but I have already tried doing this - the problem is that I get the blue screen error before I get to the "press R" option. (I did mention this in my post.) That's what make this such a burner!
    (I said "Every attempt ... Also includes: Win2000 install CD, and Win2000 Setup floppies (after 4th floppy, when attempting to start Windows). .. and .. I have read the press R for Repair instructions for Win2000, but blue scren ) This last bit should have said but I get the blue screen before I get to the "R".
    The thing is that the floppy version of Partition Magic can read the disk and report the errors, but any W2000 based method that I haved used hits the blue screen (including the XP based Bart PE).
    Is there another Utility out there that can boot up and run chkdsk on the fault HDD?
    Thanks for your ideas!!

For a blue screen error to show it means windows is trying to load.
    Booting up with either a floppy or CD does not load windows therefore it is logical to think you boot up sequence in the BIOS settings is wrong and windows is trying to load first.
    The boot order must be floppy 1st, CD 2nd and HD last.

Default Oh, the anguish?

Thanks for that whoozhe, but again not cigar.
    I get the same blue screen error and message when I boot of the Bart PE CD that I successfully made (on another computer) - again before it gets to the utilities, during the show of the WinXP splash screen (that Bart shows). (Remember, this is a W2000 box.)
    I also get the blue screen after booting of the W2000 Startup disk set (after the 4th disk).
    Both casese do indeed appear to be starting a Windows session but not by booting of the C drive.
    Yes the order in CMOS is as you listed: floppy, CD, HDD. (I even tried it with the HDD Disabled just to make sure.)

Set the bios to boot from the CD 1st.
    If that fails then it suggests your motherboard is damaged.

Thanks again for responding, whoozhe.
    Setting the bios to boot from the CD first is a bit academic, if there is no floppy in the floopy drive. I have clearly been able to get the box to boot off either the CD or the floopy or the HDD, depending on the media I have (or have not) inserted.
    About the motherboard - no that is not the prob.
    We have since replaced the HDD with another that we had, formatted it and reinstalled the OS etc. and is working fine.
    (Would still like to get original HDD to work so can access data though.)

I did get a good lead from same post on another TechSite which I can share with you: www.bootdisk.info
    In particular, the Inside Security Rescue Toolkit CD - which is linux based, but can address NTFS partitions.
    I will be popping the problem HDD back into the box next weekend (I'm using an HDD drawer.) and will see if I can repair the partition with it.

All the best.

Handy site. Actually have a HD I am trying to revive for a client.
    This guys sytem would be an archeologists dream. I reckon I know wht he ate for breakfast in 1998.

I'll try and remember to post you about how it goes when I get to try the boot CD. I have also since downloaded "The Ultimate Boot CD" in both versions and have made boot cds of them to try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast