Default Com[uter screeching on shutdown

Recently when I've been shutting down, the screen hangs half way through and then the drive starts bleeping really loudly and urgently, like in the last 10 second countdown before the nuclear bomb goes off in disaster movies. 8O The only way to stop the bleeping is to pull the plug. Does anyone know what's happening here - when I switch on again it just says Windows wasn't shut down properly and then loads and seems to work OK (so far, anyway). Is there anything I can do to stop this happening or is my computer going south?

Thanks!
    Steph

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

There is a problem with win98 se shutdown procedure Steph. Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q238096/ and follow instructions and if that doesn't work download the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement here http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...SE/Default.asp . Hope this does it for you.

Sounds disturbingly like one of your fans or Hard drive is about to give up. Strongly recommend you backup all your stuff, one of these times you pull the plug it may not start up again. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If the sound is coming from the hard drive back up NOW.
    Once there is physical damage to the drive you will never retrieve the data without paying out a small fortune.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Great, that's all I need :roll:

Canuck - thanks very much for the links! I'm not very confident going into the registry so this weekend I'll get someone a bit more computer savvy than me to hold my hand so I don't make any mistakes.

Galena1 and Whooze - thank you both for the instruction to back up, which I've now done (after a bit of a panic - well, quite a major panic actually :roll: ). The noise is coming from the drive but doesn't happen every time. What causes the damage and is there any way I can prevent this from getting worse? I'd prefer not to have to spend any money on a new computer at the moment but on the other hand, if it did die on me, I presume the whole drive would need replacing?

Steph

If the computer is fine other than the harddrive and does everything you need, a new harddrive should remedy the situation. For 98se a 40 or 60 gb should be more than enough. There are some programs that will let you clone the old drive to the new such as Norton Ghost. You need to do this before the old drive dies. If you have the 98se installation cd, you could start over with a new operating system install, then load your backup files. Charlie

Thanks Grim, that's helpful to know. The only thing is that I don't have the original installation CD for WIN98SE - someone did give me theirs but it's not the original one that was loaded on this drive - but maybe that wouldn't matter? I think I better start checking out prices of new drives, as far as I'm aware everything else is working fine. :x

Steph

You would need the 'key' that matches the disk, whichever disk you use. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks Galena1. I checked but it's not the disk for WIN98SE, which I thought it was, so I'm stuck - I bought this set up from a computer engineer and everything was already preloaded on a multiple licence thingy and included in the price so I have no disks at all. If the drive does go down I'll upgrade the whole thing, including the operating system. Keep your fingers crossed - it just needs to last a few more months!!

Cheers
    Steph