Thread: Slow Laptop

Default Slow Laptop

Ok heres the problem, my laptop seems to take a long time to start up (upto a min after the windoes welcome screen) and it seems to act slow at times. I checked for viruses & spyware, defraged the hard disk but nothing. I looked at the CPU usage while the system is starting up and its seems to be doing nothing for the most part. I've no idea why this is happening can anyone help?

Pentium 3 1.4Ghz, 256Mb Ram,Windows XP service pack 2

HI
    could be programs running in background, if you want to alter your start-up list take a look at site below, and if you do, best to go with SAFE OPTION

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Regards Stoney

Windows XP eats up alot of memory. It will work with 256mb, but will work better with 512mb. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Check the number of fonts you have in the fonts folder.
    When a system or application starts it scans the font folder. The more fonts the longer the scan.
    The best method is keep only the default windows fonts in the folder and use a font manager to handle the res. A font amanager can store unused fonts and install them whenever they are required.

Another cause is that windows may be having problems locatiing a driver. Update all your drivers, especiall the graphics card.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.