trevorjmitchell

Default Networking my old computer to my new computer at home

I am going to network my old PC and my new PC using a crossover patch cord. I intend getting the tech from the place of purchase to perform this task,when my new pc arrives. As i want someone experienced to save all of my usefull programs,and files etc.to hard disk.Then to scrub the old hard drive clean and set up both units to run winXP! Being new to the world of the PC i have had problembs with puting too many anti-virus type programs on my old system,which resulted in conflict between some of them,and also interfired with the windows operating system! I intend having my new setup configured right from the start to perform as it should, then its just a matter of me leaving well enough alone,and stoping myself from trying to fix somthing that isnt broken! Its been surgested to me that i can have both units installed with both win98SE & also with winXP! So that i have the option of working with either operating system, there are ment to be benifits to this idea as win98SE & winXP have different capabilities! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS IDEA???

Member Help2Go Moderator

Sounds like a good plan. Make sure he doesn't try to sell you something you don't want. Be prepared for a speech from the tech about the old computer will be needing a hardware upgrade (RAM) to make it run windows XP well. My question...is it that huge of a necessity that both run XP? Is this a personal perference or is it something that you have to do for work or school or something? If it's just a personal preference it's not really worth it.......

Partie™

I would leave the old one 98 and put XP on the new one. As Partie said, you can run into hardware problems going from 98 to XP (particularly amount of memory). Install only 1 antivirus on each machine. The machines will network OK and you can use whichever one fits what you are doing. If you need XP on the old machine, you can do it, just opens the door for some problems. Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    Sounds like a good plan. Make sure he doesn't try to sell you something you don't want. Be prepared for a speech from the tech about the old computer will be needing a hardware upgrade (RAM) to make it run windows XP well. My question...is it that huge of a necessity that both run XP? Is this a personal perference or is it something that you have to do for work or school or something? If it's just a personal preference it's not really worth it.......

Partie™
    >>>>>> Just looking for the best options out there! Im open to all and any advice going, as long as its real and not some far fetched, triped out idea! I only got this P3 im on at the moment about 6 weeks ago,and had heaps of dialup disconnects every day,due to phone line faults. So ended up getting a two way Vsat satellite dish put on the roof ! Big improvement in speed etc. So then needed a better PC to make use of it. " THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT PARTIE " >>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Grim322
    I would leave the old one 98 and put XP on the new one. As Partie said, you can run into hardware problems going from 98 to XP (particularly amount of memory). Install only 1 antivirus on each machine. The machines will network OK and you can use whichever one fits what you are doing. If you need XP on the old machine, you can do it, just opens the door for some problems. Charlie
    >>>>>>Thats just the sort of responce that i was looking for Charlie,its clear,to the point & it makes good sense! Lots of people who move up to XP tell me that there not impressed with it! But you have to keep up with what everything is being geared for, and at the moment thats WIN XP!
    Im new to the scene but im catching up fast. And because things move very fast in this industry, theres not much time to kick back & smell the roses! So its good that there are people out there who care enough to take the time to set up sites like this one, & people like yourself who respond to calls for help, thankyou.>>>>>>

" Mitch "

" follow your bliss "

adamski

Default win xp

Hi.
    If you plan to upgrade to xp on your old pc you will need the full version and not just the recovery disk which is supplied with most new pc's.

Regards, Adamski