Default how to back up my operating system....

Is there a way to manually make a backup copy of an installed operating system on my computer? I have Windows 2000 NT installed on my computer. The operating system was installed when I purchased the computer. I also have a cd burner and the necessary software to backup saved files. I'm curious to see if it's possible. I'd appreciate any help in the matter.

StoneO :?:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Apart from backing up your data files (see here .. some of it's pretty basic stuff but an excellent check list http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/B...kup-winxp.html ) the main settings you need to back up would be your registry (Win 2000 itself doesn't need backing up as you have the win 2000 CD). Here is another excellent site that explains the procedure http://www.argentuma.com/backup/registry-backup.html . You don't need to download their software (I think it's free though) as you can copy using your regular r/w program. Remember, to save time downloading, you could also backup your updates and drivers too.

Hope this helps.

Member Help2Go Moderator

backing up the registry is as easy as backing up the system state when using the built in backup utility for Win2000.

Partieā„¢

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

As the OS came pre installed then you cannot back it up and use that backup to reinstall Windows.
    You can make a full backup of your hard drive that can be restored on a freshly formatted drive on the same computer by using something like Norton Ghost.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.