Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anita

Default Problems when shutting down with XP Home

I am running Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP2. For a few months we have had a problem with shutting down. I have to do Start > Shutdown twice to shut the PC down. After the first attempt we have noticed that Nortons AntiVirus autoprotect is disabled! We have also noticed the notifications changing in my taskbar. Everything reverts to normal after we start up again. I have run Adaware, Spy Bot, Nortons, but nothing found. It feels like the problem is deteroriating (other functions being affected eg screen sometimes goes black & white when shutting down). :cry:

Hallo Anita - Again this could be SP2 related. Did this problem start after SP2 installation?. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

No, SP2 was installed about 2 months ago - this problem started about 4 months ago. Admittedly when it started we had minimal malware protection but nothing has been picked up so far

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

There are many causes for this problem. Refer to this excellent article on shutdown troubleshooting and go through their list http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php . If this does not help or even if it does, get back and let us know how you did; for our future reference. Thanks.

Thanks - I've gone through the list but there is nothing that describes my scenario. I have no problem shutting down providing I do the routine twice! Also after the first routine there are changes to my system eg custom notifications set to Always Hide, Norton Anti-virus disabled. I recently uninstalled Norton Internet Security and for a while the problem disappeared but then it reappeared before I reinstalled Norton. I checked the hardware list on the link but we don't have any of this specific hardware.

We also had a short term problem recently when we could not do a system restore. Could create a restore point but not do the restore. This seems to have fixed itself (for now).

Norton has/does cause various problems and may be doing so in your case. Uninstall Norton using their instructions here http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv=&osv_lvl= . It is a more in depth uninstall and cleanup than the Add/Remove in Control Panel. If this works, there are other free and easier programs you can use in place of Norton. Let us know how it goes.

I think I might be running out of options. I have uninstalled twice now with phone support from Symantec - basically we dug deep to get rid of all files. No change. They are at a loss as to what to do next (as am I!). I thought there would be someway to review the code that is being activated on shutdown?

Anita, I'm going to lock down your other post. Having two or more posts on the go is very confusing and repetitious. Please stay with this thread until the problem is solved. Thanks.

Canuck, I recently backed up my hard drive using Nero BackitUp. To fix my Help & Support problem I could restore the registry file from here. What do you think of this idea? If ok, where will it be located. I did a search and found 19 files containing registry. I thought there would be one folder I could restore which would contain the relevant Help file associations.

Anita, ado the 19 files of registry represent 19 seperate dates when you backed up or are they all the same date created? I haven't used the Nero BackItUp so am not sure how it's layed out. If they are of different dates, try installing the latest date and see if that will correct it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast