Default Fixing Hard Drives

OK, I've tried everything suggested in the old string about Fixing the MBR, nothing works. All I get is a smaller HD!? I started out with a 30 gb drive, now after many formats, Fdisks, Fdisk /MRB and other tools, I'm down to a 16 mb YES, 16 mg HD.
    Why, I don't know!?!?!?
    My question is, what does the factory do when they get back a HD like this?
    They must have a pg or something to put it back to factory specs.
    I have emailed WD, Seagate, and IBM for all my drives that are screwed up (4 of them), but no company has replied. Understandably!!! Liability stuff, I guess.

I'm ready to take my old 8 track tape de-magnetizer and leave it run on these drives for a few days!

Suggestions please, before these drives sleep with the fishes!

BillBerit

I suggest you backup all important stuff asap. Then go here - http://www.help2go.com/article217.html
    and run through the sequence. When you have your HiJack Log, post it here - http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective and click on submit. If you have any spyware etc they will be displayed for you to fix within the HiJack program. The Detective is still at Beta stage so you use at your own risk. Let us know how you get on. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks for your input, but your suggestions are for a working system and hard drive. As I said in my message, my hd's are totally dead. That is, I have Formated C:, and Fdisked them to death!
    There is no data or pgs or anything on them. I even did a Zeroing severl times. All I get is a partitioned hd with less and less area, like from a 30.7 GB drive down to a 16 mb drive. Why this shrinkage is happening I don't know, but with all the s/w tools I have, I have nothing to get the drives back to factory specs! I am going to have to send them back to the mfg, or scrap them if I cannot find a why to redo them.
    What's next?
    Bill

Have you tried the drive in a different PC ?
    Could be the motherboard that is faulty.

First, there are 4 different drives. 2 20 GB’s, 2 30 GB’s. All WD’s. Each is having the same problem, which leads me to think the Start Up FDD I am using, has a contaminated Boot pg on it. I did use 2 different PC’s and got the same results. This all started when I used WD’s Data Lifeguard Tools Ver: 11.01. I just cannot figure how to correct the problem. There must be a program somewhere to take a HD back to factory specs. I am not a novice at this, but also not a professional HD Lab Tech either. I’m going to call WD, and hope to speak with someone who walks up-right for answers! I will report my findings to this string!

Thanks again for your input!
    Bill

First, there are 4 different drives. 2 20 GB’s, 2 30 GB’s. All WD’s. Each is having the same problem, which leads me to think the Start Up FDD I am using, has a contaminated Boot pg on it. I did use 2 different PC’s and got the same results. This all started when I used WD’s Data Lifeguard Tools Ver: 11.01. I just cannot figure how to correct the problem. There must be a program somewhere to take a HD back to factory specs.
    I also changed the FDD drive thinking that may have done something to the Boot Floppy's pgs. No change!
    I am not a novice at this, but also not a professional HD Lab Tech either. I’m going to call WD, and hope to speak with someone who walks up-right for answers! I will report my findings to this string!

Thanks again for your input!
    Bill

Can't you just wipe the drives to reclaim the space? I've had probs in the past and have two progs on floppy disk that will completely erase a hard drive. One is called "Dariks Nuke & Boot Disk (DBan for short). The other is a re-formatter called "Rescue Dying Drive". Both work, both easy to use by just restarting the PC with floppy inserted.
    If you're in the UK I could send one or both. Outside the UK you'll need to download a prog called Eraser and create the DBan disk from the installed program.
    I'm not a teccy so if I've missed something by suggesting you wipe the Hard Drives then I do apologise. paulo.

No apologies necessary!!! I have not tried the pg’s you mentioned, but I’ll do a search for them ASAP!

You wouldn’t happen to have any link to them, would you?

Thanks again!
    Bill

Yes I do have a link for one of them, DBan. Go to
    www.heidi.ie/eraser
    As for Rescue Dying Drive, I can't find the link for it, I will keep looking. However, if you instal Eraser 7, once you have it you can create the DBan disk and there are around seven different types of erase you can do. For a quick wipe of a 20 Gig H/D you're looking at around 1 hour. For a 35 pass Gutmann wipe, 20Gig will take 11 hours. Having said that, if it works and reclaims all your Gigs then I'm sure you won't complain.