Default how many server's do i need?

hi guys, its been a while i hope everyone's doing well.
    my question will probably sound pretty silly but here it goes anyway

i have 4 computers i want to run as server platforms, all will have windows 2003 server and i wanted ideally to set up a website so one will be a web server (either apache or iis).
    also i will be sharing 3 printers amongst the 4 servers and 2 clients i have in other parts of the house via a wireless connection.
    one computer also needs to host a database of songs/videos and other files.
    i wanted to run dhcp and dns and a few other services mainly to play around with.
    as if that wasnt enough i was hoping to get a proxy server and a ftp server up and running.
    the hardware spec of these systems varies, 2 house cyrix 600mhz chips with 512 ram, 20gig hd's.
    1 is a dell 8400 with i think 2800 p4 cpu and 1024meg memory and the other one is an amd 64 cpu with 512ram.

i know running all those server applications sounds like overkill for a house but im trying to learn the technologies.

my question is are 4 computers enough to run all those services, i cant find any resources on the net for having more than one server application running on 1 set of hardware.

for example could i have a web server, dns server, ftp server running on 1 computer?, i assume im going to have to live with a drop in performance but aside from that is it even feasible to do so.

if i can have more than one server app running on 1 bit of kit are there certain apps which i should keep away from each other?

long question i know so if you made it this far well done.

thanks for any posts guys, i appreciate it.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I am at a total loss of what you are trying to achieve.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

sorry i didnt explain it better the first time whooze, but in simple terms i just wanted to know if i could run more than 1 server ie web, ftp, mail etc on 1 physical computer and what if any server types should be seperated i.e not be on the same computer for avoid compatibility problems etc.

its ok guys i think i've found what i was looking for at:
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...=882842&page=4
    but any other comments welcome

Member Help2Go Moderator

Yeah, if i were you I'd pick the BEST machine you have and turn that into your server. Install all the server applications on that machine. I.e. DNS, DHCP, DC, FTP, WEB etc. etc. The reason, it's centrally located on a machine, easier to secure. instead of trying to make all these other machines secure. Also, it's usually a good idea to have the DNS run on the same machine as teh DHCP.

Partieā„¢

Like your Logo, Semper Fi, from Per Mare Per Terram.

thanks for the info partie.