Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mariathewino

Default Computer shutting down or programs shutting down randomly

I am having a problem with my computer just shutting down at random. Sometimes it's IE6, Outlook, Works, Sims, Sims2, or any other program I have on my computer and sometimes it's the whole system. I am running XP Home. Not sure what other info you need from me. Under System is says:
    Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2
    Service Pack 2

Intel
    Pentium 4(R) CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79GHz, 512 RAM

Also, Sims and Sims2 ALWAYS crash on my computer. I have done what it says in the book and shut down every other process in task manager but it still shuts down regularly.

Please help!
    Thanks!

HI has this happend since the download of sevice pack2, or was it doing this before.

Regards Stoney

Default Re: Computer shutting down or programs shutting down randoml

This is from me, I registered so if you need to, you can respond directly to me. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mariathewino
    I am having a problem with my computer just shutting down at random. Sometimes it's IE6, Outlook, Works, Sims, Sims2, or any other program I have on my computer and sometimes it's the whole system. I am running XP Home. Not sure what other info you need from me. Under System is says:
    Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2
    Service Pack 2

Intel
    Pentium 4(R) CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79GHz, 512 RAM

Also, Sims and Sims2 ALWAYS crash on my computer. I have done what it says in the book and shut down every other process in task manager but it still shuts down regularly.

Please help!
    Thanks!

I've had this computer since the summer and I have been trying to get it upgraded and updated ever since. Not sure when the problems started but it's been pretty much since I have had it. It's possible it's from the service pack2 but I'm not sure since I did that update as soon as I got the computer.

Hi when you say you have been trying to get it updated upgraded? what do you mean, do you mean that you have been trying to get rid of this problem since then, i think you would of noticed as soon as you downloaded SP2, when you say you downloaded as soon as you got PC, has your PC ever run OK

Regards Stoney

As soon as we got the computer, my husband told me to go to microsoft and do all the updates that they said I needed, so I did. I did all the critical ones, not the stuff I didn't need, language packs, etc. I don't know if it ever ran right because as soon as we got it, I did those updates and it's been shutting down randomly. I can't even tell you what causes it cause it's anything. If I only have one program running, it does it, if I have 5 running, it does it. Doesn't matter what programs they are, either. My husband got the computer from work (they are a bunch of computer geeks there) so I'm not sure if it was rebuilt or not but now they are all too busy to help and my husband isn't one of the geeks so he's not sure what to do, either.

Hi you could try uninstall SP2, [BUT wait] for others for some more input some-one else might come up with another solution,you could go to this link and follow all procedures as could be spyware related see if that helps HERE http://www.help2go.com/article217.html
    Do the scans ect [ try that before you think about uninstall of Sp2]

Link how to uninstall SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875350

Regards Stoney

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try this fix from Intel http://support.intel.com/support/gra.../cs-016327.htm . Also, your graphics card may not be compatable, give us the make and model and we'll see what we can find.

Could this be a overheating problem?
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

How can I tell if it's an overheating problem? Sometimes it's just as quick as when I turn it on, and sometimes it's hours later. The fix that Canuck listed won't help, the Sims2 does work sometimes, it just crashes randomly. I've noticed I get a lot more time if I'm in build mode or buy mode than when I'm actually playing the game. Not sure what that means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast