Default Error: To enable the advanced sound effect for gaming... etc

Hi there,

Every time I go into the Control Panel, I have been getting this error message:

To enable the advanced sound effect for gaming, please make sure the setting of Hardware Acceleration is "full". The directory is as below: Control Panel -> Multimedia(Win98)/Sound & Multimedia(Win200, Me)/Sound & Audio Devices(Win XP) -> Audio -> Playback/Advance... -> Performance -> Hardware Acceleration.
    So naturally I have followed the instructions and checked the hardware acceleration, yet it is definitely set to "full".

I don't think I even want "the advanced sound effect for gaming" (I don't use the computer for gaming; I use it for music recording, work and internet).

It may be worth noting that when I go into the "Sounds & Audio Devices", the options on the "volume" tab are greyed out (I'm pretty sure they are meant to be though, and don't see why this would be a problem, just trying to help with diagnosis).

The soundcard I'm using is an audio interface connected by the firewire port, called M-Audio Firewire 410. The inbuilt soundcard which comes up when the M-Audio isn't plugged in is the Realtek AC97.

Any help is much appreciated,
    Jacob

Default Hey

Hi,

If you havn't Updated your sound driver do so and everything will be fixed...
    Thanx for your time and have a good day. Bye

-Merry Christmas
    Compaq,Windows XP,Internet Explorer,version 6.0.29, 128-bit,Outlook Express,version 6.00.29.

Default no luck

Thanks Velocity,

Don't know why I didn't think of that - have updated my sound driver.
    Unfortunately, am still getting the same error message though :cry:

Thanks for your help,
    Jacob

Default Hey

Hi,

Also try swithing the TS client from direct to wave or vice versa.
    have you tried changing from wave to direct or vice versa?
    whenever I see something like AC97 I'm remembered to broken soundcards and bad drivers...
    a lot people have problems with these soundcards, and it doesn't seem to be a TS problem only.
    Still you could try to force 8bit recording (settings / options in the client). But I doubt it will help in all cases.

Best way to fix those problems is to use a "real" soundcard, not a motherboard included one, as the manufacturers are experts in creating motherboards, not soundcards...

I did a bit of digging and found some drivers that where, according to some forumposts, solved a lot of issues.

Not this is not a guarantee but at least something to try out.

ftp://210.51.181.211/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a359.exe

ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a359.exe

As I said I am not using that Soundchip so I couldn't test them.

Then only thing I did test was the download in general. It is a bit slow and for me it was Virusfree. So give it a try and please post here if it fixed anything.

Well thx for your time and have a good day. Bye
    -Merry Christmas
    Compaq,Windows XP,Internet Explorer,version 6.0.29, 128-bit,Outlook Express,version 6.00.29.

Default Thank you

Hi Velocity,

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it..

The thing is, funnily enough it doesn't appear to be an AC97 problem, but more a problem with my outboard soundcard (the M-Audio Firewire 410). This is because the error message only occurs when I plug in the M-Audio. So I downloaded the updated driver for the Firewire 410, but still no success.

I am not sure what you mean by "TS Client", or how I would be able to change it.

But anyway, ironically, the problem appears to be with the "real" soundcard, not with the motherboard soundcard.

I have tried emailing M-Audio, anyhow - am waiting for a response.

Thanks for your help!
    Jacob