Thread: advent 7012

vxisme

Default advent 7012

laptop wont even start,power ok, but battery duff, does it need the battery to boot up, help please

I assume you have it plugged in. It may need the battery in place to complete circuit even if the battery is dead.

andy cass

Default advent 7012

it does not need the battery i took mine out six months ago and it works fine

dave12

it (must) have a good battery in it or the bios will not boot and will not remember the setings. you can start the computer and hit del or f2 this will let you goin to bios settings. you must load defolt setings (and save) and iff the battery has a dit ov lief left in it.(it mite boot up ok) but iff i wos you i wood but a mew battery in it and take a chans whif it..

Member Help2Go Moderator

but iff i wos you i wood but a mew battery in it and take a chans whif it..
    What???? 8O 8O 8O 8O

Yer but.. (Little Britain, UK TV Comedy) :wink:
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

I understood him:

wood=Wood, mew= sounds that cows make, whif=smell.

I think what he was saying wood cows smell

BG

Ha Ha Ha :P Another classic
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Yes, chaps, all very humourous, but I think this thread has drifted away from our guest's original problem.

Vxisme - please post again here, using "postreply" at the foot of the thread, and give us an update on your progress.

From an electrical engineer's point of view I don't like the idea of a dead battery being in circuit. Batteries are full of deadly and corrosive chemicals.

At the very least remove it or, more advisedly, insert a working replacement.

If you're still having problems we'll give it more thought.

I agree Oddjob, way off the subject, but that does happen at times.

Vxisme:

You will need to go to the manufactures web site, look up the model of your laptop to find were the CMOS battery is located. Some laptops are easy to replace, other like my Dell, requires major disassembly and not recommended for the average user.

If it is a "large" round watch type battery cost should be less than $5.00 USD.

Cheers