DSR17

Default Removing CPU Heatsink and Fan

Hi, i am having a bit of trouble with my cpu heatsink and fan. The paddles to keep it on tight will not fold over all the way so it is only clipped in. It is a socket 478 but i ran it on ist side ie just sitting on top of the cpu to see if the system was working. The mobo was reading the cpu at 60 degrees when the manual said it should be running at 38. I have decided to buy a new fan with a different type of attachment but now the old fan has become stuck to the cpu via the heat putty. What is the best way to remove it as i dont want to harm the cpu as it is a brand new P4 3GHz. If i just pull it out i fear the cpu will come with it and may harm it. Any help in this matter would be greatly appriciated.

Generally the fan is attached with small screws to the heat sink. The heat sink is held in place with spring steel clamp to the CPU. Between the heat sink and the CPU is a thin layer of heat sink compound that must be replace if you remove the heat sink.

It sounds you are saying the fan is on top of the CPU and the heatsink is on top of the fan. Also heat sink compound should never hold like "glue"

Lets us know.

Cheers

DSR17

No, the cpu is in correct and the heatsink is on the cpu and the fan attached to this by screws so the heat sink and fan act as one. So by taking one off, the other is removed. But the heat compound is sticking the heat sink to the cpu, sort of like clay. Should this not set hard then?

Seen elsewhere - " Some processors come with heat sinks glued to them directly, ensuring a good transfer of heat between the processor and the heat sink."
    Not familiar with this option, I live and learn. Regards.
    Edit: There may be some reference to this in your manual.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome