Default Very SLOW Internet Explorer 6

I could honestly go for a walk around the block while I wait for a page to come up...even sometimes while I am reading some posts here it takes FOREVER for a page to come up..I have tried everything, spyware, scanning defragging, you name it Ihave tried it...my pc is a pent 3 I run windows 98 and have a 356K modem...any suggestions????

Try to limited the number of programs that are loading on start up. Could be you have a stick of RAM going bad.

Cheers

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

When was the last time you reformated the drive. With Win98 it should be done at least one a year.
    I suggest you back up your data and do exactly that. Remember you will lose everything so make sure you have all your software ready to reinstall.
    In 99% of cases this is the only way to get a pre XP system back to full speed and peak performance.
    It may be a hassle but you will find it worth while.
    Some systems did not come with the Original Windows CD. If that is the case then use the manufacturerers Rescue CD.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

don't worry i have had the same problem and it isn't anything to do with you ram????????????????
    internet explorer simply has to many users, try downloading - morzilla firefox - it has never let me down and hardly ever crashes or dis connects.
    hope this helps.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Outlook Express can run slow for a number of reasons. If you have deleted Microsoft Messenger it leaves a connection to OE and this connection must be changed. Here are the instructions if this is the case:
    FIX THE SLOW LOADING OF OUTLOOK EXPRESS AFTER MESSENGER REMOVAL

Open up Register Editor by running "regedit" command. Click on "Edit" and select "Find". Copy and paste FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541 onto the "Find what" box and click on "Find Next". Once found, click on the plus sign in front of it and you will find InProc32 and LocalServer32. Select one of them then right click on default under the name column and select "modify", then simply delete what's in the Value Data box. Repeat for the other.
    The other possibility is noted in this MS article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q271510/

Hope these help. I know that the first solution works if Messenger has been removed.

Canuck I didn't say my outlook was running slow I said my IE was running slow...I have never used my outlook express anyways, I find hotmail is much better for me...I was wondering though if I installed firefox and got rid of internet explorer altogether if that may help...but can I ask if I first download firefox then delete all my IE stuff or delete IE first then download firefox?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

sorry dentalgal, didn't take my time and read your heading :roll:

dentalgal,

Unfortunately, you can't get rid of IE, as it is an integral part of the Operating System.

However, you can install and use Firefox as your default browser while ignoring IE except for MS updates.

I have no idea if this will solve your problem, but I'm sure you'll like Firefox. I sure do!

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Once it gets under 20% it can start slowing things down. It's kind of like trying to rearrange furniture in a room with no free space. Charlie