Default Problems installing old game on XP

Hi guys
    Hope you are all having a good New Year. Anyway here is the issue. I'm trying to put an old game win 95/98 onto XP and I'm aware of the compatability issue but I'm coming up against a message that is seeming to block me at every turn. It is as follows and comes up in a grey box:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt.
    The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
    "there is then 2 boxes with" Close and Ignore on them. When I do touch close the message closes and nothing happens. When I touch ignore nothing happens for a while then it closes.

This one has me absolutely baffled, any ideas? Oh if you do have please keep any actions very simple. :?

the game that you are trying to install is too "old fashioned" bit-wise to be run under your graphics card....at least that is what i am deriving from your post. The mode in wich the game runs (16-bit) is probably not supported by either your card or os or both. If you really want to install this game try installing another, older, os on a different hard drive partition.
    Being too open minded leads to the brains falling out.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Try opening Windows Explorer, locate the exe or Com file from the game and right click on it. Choose Compatabilty and set that file to run in older Windows mode.
    It may work although there is no guarantee.
    The Other issue you may encounter is the resolution one. You may have to reduce yours to 256 colors
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.