Default windows media player 10 error

Windows Media Player Error

Immediately following the replacement of Windows 98 with Windows XP, I receive the folling error message when accessing Windows Media Player:

"Cannot play back the audio stream, no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding."

Appropriate audio hardware has been installed, and 'worked' immediately prior to the installation of Window XP

I am computer 'beginner'....

I check the Microsoft data base. What I found I either didn't understand or found helpful.

Any assistance you might provide me in a step-by-step format would be most helpful and appreciated.

Cordially
    geoheid

Member Help2Go Moderator

Sounds like you need a sound card driver. What you need to do is Right click "My Computer" | select "properties" | click "hardware" tab | click "device manager" button. Once in device manager, if there are any ? or ! listed, then you don't have the software installed on Windows XP to run the hardware listed with a ? or a !. You need to find out what make and model that hardware is and download the XP software needed to make the hardware work with WIndows XP.

Partieā„¢

if that doesnt do it try reiinstalling win media player, but the first suggestions should fix it. 8)
    Being too open minded leads to the brains falling out.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Did you install XP over Windows 98 ?
    Really not a good idea.
    You will encounter different problems along the way and find yourself having to reinstall many applicactions.
    Back up data and do a clean installation of XP. You will end up with a faster and cleaner system.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.