REH

Default Need to upgrade graphics card

Any suggestions on upgrading a graphics card for games like Half-Life and Half-Life 2. Using a Gateway with 512 RAM, 40 gig hard drive. Thanks for your help. Gene

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Take a look at system recommendations for Half-Life 2 here http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/hl2.ars . Hope this will help you in your decision making.

i strongly recommend at least a 128mb card...nvidia makes, in my humble opinion...the best available graphics cards. www.nvidia.com
    also check this out http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...460&pfp=BROWSE
    hope this helps some.
    Being too open minded leads to the brains falling out.

This really depends on other factors like what is your budget and also the other specs of your system (no point in getting a fancy graphics card if you have a slow processer for example, as the processor will bottleneck before your card does).

Assuming you have a fairly modern system my suggestion would be an ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB, but importantly the version which has the 256 bit memory interface as oppose to the version with the 128 bit memory interface (128MB reletes to video memory). These cards are made by quite a few manufacturers such as Saphire, Atlantis & Powercolor etc and you can pick them up online for approx $/€220 to $/€260 (£120 to £150)

This card is regarded by many as being the best "bang for your buck" and will handle Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Farcry etc easily (assuming your other system specs are up to it). I myself have one and also have Half-life 2 and have no problems. Bear in mind you also need a DVD-ROM drive and internet connection to play this game (even in single player mode).

P.S I notice you say games like Half-Life & Half-Life 2. The original Half-Life came out years ago and will run on a 64MB card. Half-Life 2 is a totally different ball game as it has just been released and needs much more power to run than the original required :-)

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Find the best card available then go down a couple of releases.
    This way you end up with a card that will service you for a reasonable amount of time.
    Most games will run on these cards with the exception of maybe Doom 3.
    As for the type well they leap frog each other constantly and probably always will.
    256 meg cards are pretty much standard for newer games, especially with a 512 Meg of memory system.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Current system upgradeable?

Some great info passed on here, however: all are assuming you have a non-integrated video card AND/OR an available AGP slot. More information on your system would be helpful. Gateway Model #??
    A good horse, strong woman and my .30-.30 rifle. Not much more a man needs. (well, except a computer that is!!)